Full Stack Engineer
- Job Opportunities
Common Sense (https://www.commonsense.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and digital literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are currently seeking an experienced full-stack engineer to join a team of developers, QA engineers, product managers, and UX designers who work closely with UI designers led by a creative director. This role will help build and maintain all things client-facing and will help translate our organization and customer needs into functionally seamless, and appealing, interactive applications. Creating a great user experience is a focal point of this role, and the ideal candidate is curious about new digital technologies and stays abreast of coding best practices, but there are also likely to be back-end tasks and problems to solve. This role will collaborate with a top-notch team of developers on a feature-rich, responsive site and help build personalized and social site experiences to help connect members with each other and the rest of the world.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
You will be working on a multitude of high-traffic websites that garner millions of users per month, including:
- Common Sense Media (www.commonsensemedia.org): The platform that hosts reviews, advice, and more for parents.
- Common Sense Education (www.commonsense.org/education): Designed to help pre-K–12 educators discover, use, and share the best apps, games, websites, and digital curricula for their students. Also contains curriculum, professional development, and teaching resources for educators and school administrators.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated proficiency writing standards-compliant HTML5 and CSS3
- Understanding of current front-end and mobile development best practices, including responsive design, touch interfaces, performance optimization, and progressive enhancement
- Experience working with source-control with Git
- Experience working in a LAMP stack with PHP skills
THE X FACTOR:
- Experience developing in Drupal 7 or 8 with custom modules and themes for Drupal
- Experience with TDD (test-driven development)
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience using CSS pre-processors such as LESS, SASS, and/or Compass
- Experience with mobile-first responsive design
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hard-working, and a total team player.
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense mission.
- You have a great sense of humor -- even when meeting tough deadlines.
- You have the mindset of a solid developer; you are able to work autonomously, you are not afraid to share your opinion when discussing technical approaches, and you are willing to learn new tools and approaches to complex problems.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with a great team of talented, passionate developers and product people who have worked together for a long time and love what they're doing
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.