Head of Communications
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 70,000 member schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Reporting to the vice president of External Affairs, the Head of Communications will develop and lead a high-profile, high-volume press operation for Common Sense, directly managing activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand, programs, reputation, and impact.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop and implement integrated strategic communications plans that advance Common Sense Media's brand, programs, and priorities, and increase our visibility across key stakeholder audiences
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function, including budgeting, planning, and team and agency development
- Serve as the lead point person on media relations, acting as an organizational spokesperson, cultivating relationships, and advancing story ideas
- Write and/or edit backgrounders, talking points, speeches, presentations, press releases, statements, editorials, letters to the editor, and other materials as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Common Sense Media programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Manage the communications team and outside agencies to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or a related field
- Minimum 10 years' experience in a senior management communications role, either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications program to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive writing and editing experience
- Creative and thoughtful use of Twitter and other social media programs as a tool to build relationships with journalists
- Experience in building and managing a small but mighty communications team and managing PR agencies
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment, prioritize media opportunities, and delegate workflow
- Experience with Cision and PR Newswire, for media relations and reporting
- Superior written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to speak Spanish and relationships with Spanish-speaking media a plus
- International PR experience a plus
THE "X" FACTOR
- You are a persuasive communicator, skilled collaborator, and innovative thinker with a track record of translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- You are self-motivated, self-reliant, and driven to perform; you serve as a role model of productivity for your team
- You have demonstrated an ability to leverage your creativity and vision to get results
- You are known for being calm, flexible, and able to manage challenging situations with aplomb
- You are inspired by Common Sense Media's mission!
WHAT WE OFFER
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- A competitive salary and rich suite of health, welfare, and lifestyle benefits
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in kids' lives!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.