- Job Opportunities
- Director of Product Design
- Director, Education Foundations Partnerships
- Family and Community Engagement Coordinator
- Marketing Copywriter (contractor)
- Marketing and Communications Manager
- Media Reviewer - Podcasts (Contract)
- Media Reviewer
- Media Reviewer – Video Games (Contract)
- Policy Counsel
- QA Engineer
- Senior Marketing and Brand Copywriter
- Senior Policy Associate
- Senior Visual Designer (Contractor)
- TV Reviewer (contract)
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, listen to, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Apple TV, Target.com, Xfinity, Vudu.com, and many other partner platforms, helping kids and families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The media reviewer will use their subject-matter expertise to consume, evaluate, and write about entertainment content for parents through a child-development and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) lens. With excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, this contract role will produce anywhere from one to 10 new reviews per month, with a special focus on a specific kind of media (books, movies, TV shows, apps, video games, podcasts). Work may also include updates to older reviews. We are committed to hiring reviewers from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
REPORT TO: Executive Editor, Ratings & Reviews
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (remote available)
DURATION: Six months, with the potential to extend
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Consume (watch, read, play) media (movies, TV shows, books, apps, games, podcasts), evaluate media according to our proprietary rubric, detailed guidelines, and best practices, and write original reviews of media titles in a consumer-/parent-friendly tone.
- Accurately source information about media titles, including authors/developers, run time/page length, and release dates; also, locate and process materials like press contacts, image files, etc.
- Upload text, images, and other data into our proprietary content management system.
- Apply Common Sense style guide to all written materials.
- Evaluate existing reviews through a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to identify and correct problematic language and decenter the White voice.
- Occasionally communicate with publicists.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Demonstrated expertise in and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in media criticism and writing.
- Background in journalism, child development, media criticism, or a related field.
- Experience as a conversational writer, ideally for a parent audience (with clips to show for it).
- Expertise in a specific type of media (movies, TV shows, books, apps, games, podcasts).
- Technical know-how, with experience using online content management systems, cloud-based software.
- Demonstrated ability to execute projects working in a self-directed way with priorities/deadlines that may shift quickly.
THE "X" FACTOR:
- You enjoy critically thinking about media from a variety of vantage points.
- Spanish-language proficiency is a plus.
- You are inspired by Common Sense's mission!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.