- Job Opportunities
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools use our ratings and curriculum and content.
We are seeking a product designer to join our team. This person will create product designs for complex and diverse organizational requirements. This person will report to the creative director and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
LOCATION: San Francisco, Calif.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Create product designs for complex and diverse organizational requirements.
- Partner closely with engineers, product managers, visual designers, UX researchers, copywriters, and the creative director to create intuitive and engaging designs for a consistent user experience across web and mobile.
- Empathize with the user's mental model and apply principles of human-centered design and design thinking to resolve their needs.
- Design and deliver wireframes, user flows, mock-ups, and final UI designs optimized for a wide range of devices, interfaces, and accessibility.
- Manage feedback from stakeholders to analyze trade-offs effectively and iterate toward solutions.
- Contribute to the development of our style guide.
- Use data -- and professional insights and experience -- to inform design decisions.
- Work with engineers to review implementation and assist in QA.
- Work closely with product managers to define processes and maintain schedules for your work.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- You have a portfolio showing a minimum of three years of professional experience designing digital products for multiple stakeholders.
- You are capable of taking a feature from exploration and discovery to definition, interaction design, and final visual execution.
- Experience working with or creating comprehensive design systems.
- Professional visual design skills (including hierarchy, typography, grids, color, icons, and imagery).
- Detailed knowledge of visual design tools such as Sketch, InVision, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Familiarity with development tools such as HTML, CSS, and JS.
THE X FACTOR:
You have a passion for product design, elegant solutions, and technology trends. You are self-directed and value collaboration as key to success. You have the skills to balance great design with short deadlines. You are a skilled communicator and relationship builder. Most importantly, you are inspired by the Common Sense mission to help kids, schools, and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.