Senior Campaign Director
In September 2020, Jim Steyer, a best-selling author, popular Stanford University professor, and founder and CEO of Common Sense, will publish a new book that examines the impact of media and technology on our society. The book presents a provocative examination of the current state of society today, and will catalyze a national discussion about realistic solutions for how we can resolve some of our challenges and work toward a positive future.
Common Sense is seeking a senior campaign director to lead the coordination of this important new initiative, planning publicity, speaking engagements, events, content, and public actions -- essentially to help us build the movement.
Common Sense is looking for a senior campaign director to lead the coordination of this important new initiative, planning publicity, speaking engagements, events, content, and public actions -- essentially to help us build the movement.
The ideal candidate has senior-level experience and interest in publicity, communications, event planning, and advocacy and flourishes in a fast-paced environment. The role reports to the CMO, and requires working on a daily basis with our founder and CEO, his chief of staff, internal marketing, and the communications and advocacy teams, as well as coordinating with partners and individual stakeholders. Experience working with politicians and media/business executives on book promotions is a plus!
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
HOURS: 40 hours per week
HEALTH BENEFITS: Included
REPORTS TO: Chief marketing officer
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Conceive and plan a series of speaking engagements, conference placements, and organic events focused on the impact of media and technology on kids, families, and society at large. This includes creative conception of events -- you'll scout and secure locations, pitch speakers, work with vendors and VIP guests, prep speakers, overseeing everything from the in-market promotions to the ticket sales.
- Manage coordinated communications and marketing campaigns to amplify the events, the speakers, and the issues they raise.
- Coordinate any public or grasstops actions at the local, state, and federal levels that come out of this campaign and these events.
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of events and initiatives.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- A minimum of 10 years of collective experience in managing marketing or publicity campaigns, including promotional events and initiative planning.
- Experience in book publicity and/or event planning is a plus.
- Demonstrated success in managing campaigns that yield awareness and change.
THE X FACTOR:
- You are a doer and a thinker.
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hardworking, and a true team player.
- You are an exceptional project manager.
- You can work effectively with senior staff, the public, and VIPs, pas part of a team.
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense mission and the mission of this campaign (how technology is impacting society).
- You have a great sense of humor, even when meeting tough deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Great health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.