Senior Manager, Business Development
Common Sense is the leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to grow in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Apple TV, Target.com, Xfinity, Vudu.com, and many other partner platforms, helping kids and families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Our creative funding model combines both earned income and philanthropic sources of revenue. We have a strong stable of visible partners, all of whom need engagement and ongoing attention. We are looking for a senior manager, business development, to manage a subset of our revenue-generating partners. This candidate will have experience with building relationships and managing complex projects with many moving parts, a knowledge of the media and tech landscape, some technical knowledge, creative thinking skills, and a collaborative work style. The senior manager, business development, will continuously seek to leverage Common Sense expertise and resources to create meaningful in-platform experiences that drive tangible value to partners and help them realize the value of partnering with Common Sense. The senior manager will work with a range of external partner stakeholders including editorial teams, brand managers, product teams, and engineers across the organization internally to implement projects. This role is based in San Francisco and will report to the VP of business development. Travel will be required post-COVID.
REPORT TO: VP, business development
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Foster and cultivate key partner relationships to ensure strategic engagement and relationship management and create new opportunities to add value.
- Work closely with the VP of business development to shape and implement a renewal strategy to improve incremental revenue, informed by identifying emerging opportunities, building a metrics-based value proposition, and negotiating new terms.
- Be intimately familiar with contractual terms and utilization of our content to ensure compliance.
- Support some new business activities related to international expansion.
- Understand the essential business drivers for our partners, including long-term and short-term goals, and develop new solutions applying our expertise and content.
- Continually work to deepen integrations, and identify additional areas of collaboration.
- Maximize existing partnerships to improve and promote our integrations to customers through their distribution channels.
- Lead day-to-day communication with and activities of business development partnerships, and establish regular messaging of emails, calls, and in-person meetings to build productive relationships.
- Monitor technical integrations to ensure they happen in a timely manner; continually encourage deeper integrations by offering up ideas and proposals.
- Engage team members (marketing/design/editorial/product/video/communications) to meet partner needs, including developing excellent integrations and campaigns and identifying meaningful new use cases for CSM content.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Five years of relevant experience in a related role.
- Experience building strategic relationships and project management.
- Strong presentation skills, including developing PowerPoint materials and delivering those presentations to executive teams.
- Represent Common Sense in interactions with partners with varying backgrounds and degrees of seniority.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with passionate professionals.
- Great health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.