Senior Technology Analyst
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are looking for a senior technology analyst to help shape our digital well-being policy agenda. Common Sense is committed to ensuring that children are exposed to high-quality content no matter the platform they use. We want to build out our efforts to implement change at a policy level, focusing on issues of big data, content, and algorithms, while continuing to partner with tech companies and leaders who want and can realize significant change. Our Common Sense tech analyst will intimately understand the platforms and the technical reforms that can make for sound policy change to improve content for kids. We want to build a healthier, more humane, more equitable internet for the millions of parents and families of Common Sense, and the rest of the world. Our senior technology analyst will help guide the way.
LOCATION: Washington DC/San Francisco/Sacramento
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Develop a tech advocacy agenda that prioritizes kids' best interests, covering platforms and content, algorithms, AI, voice, and more.
- Manage legislative advocacy efforts on these issues to protect and empower kids and families in the digital age.
- Develop platform by platform reform solutions to help address parent concerns and engineer innovations for industry adoption.
- Cultivate relationships with industry leaders and influencers to support humane tech reforms.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Policy and tech background is a must, including master's, JD, or equivalent.
- 10 years of experience in tech and public policy
- Business and/or youth development experience a plus
- Platform knowledge and expertise
- Strong research and analytical capabilities; deep knowledge of the policy environment; excellent strategic leadership and organizational management capabilities.
THE X FACTOR:
- You have insider understanding of how tech platforms function, with an eye for how they need to work for people (and democracy).
- You're a people person but also a lover of data and analytics and the details that make for sound policy.
- You bring your diverse perspective to the job, advocating for great tech on behalf of kids everywhere, and you're someone uniquely positioned -- with a network, know-how, and the power of persuasion -- to help create a kid-healthy internet.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Very competitive salary based on experience
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.