Senior U.K. Movie/TV Editor (contractor)
- Job Opportunities
- Senior Technologist
- Staff Accountant
- Associate Editor, TV/Movies
- Development Associate, Foundations
- Development Manager, Foundations
- Digital First Content Editor (contract)
- Director of Development, Foundations
- Executive Assistant, Office of the CFO
- Senior U.K. Movie/TV Editor (contractor)
Common Sense (/) is the United States' leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest U.S. library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. In the United States, our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide U.S. educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 600,000 registered educators and 55,000 schools use our ratings and curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media, tech, and education landscape for kids, families, and schools. And now we're coming to the United Kingdom!
Reporting to the executive editor of reviews and ratings (based in the U.S.), the senior U.K. movie/TV editor will research, assign, and edit parent-facing reviews for original U.K. movies, as well as retrofit popular U.S. reviews for a U.K. audience. The editor will also liaise with the U.S.-based Business Development team and U.K.-based representatives in a business partner-facing capacity, serving as Common Sense's on-the-ground editorial expert and ensuring that all content-related partner deliverables are met. Other duties will include recruiting and managing freelance writers (and training them on our tools and processes), liaising with other international editors, and updating the U.S. editorial team frequently on progress and priorities.
Location: Farringdon, Central London, U.K. (At this time we are only able to consider applicants who are eligible to work in the U.K.)
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Serve as Common Sense's on-the-ground editorial expert in the U.K., accurately and completely representing our mission, editorial process, and content library
- Research, assign, and edit reviews of original U.K. movies
- Retrofit reviews of popular U.S. movies for a U.K. audience, keeping all relevant cultural sensitivities in mind
- Help fill any gaps in our review catalog that will assist in fulfilling partner deliverables, coordinating with Business Development team as needed
- Recruit and manage freelance reviewers, track assignment dates/deadlines, determine review ratings, and meet ambitious deadlines
- Work with U.S.-based Business Development team (and all relevant U.K.-based representatives) to meet U.K. business partner content deliverables
- Use proprietary content management system
- Check in regularly with U.S.-based editorial team to coordinate on deliverables, progress, and priorities
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Background in journalism, child development, media criticism, and/or a related field
- At least 5-10 years' experience in an editorial capacity, ideally for a parent audience
- Extensive writing and editing experience
- Deep understanding of U.K. movie industry/landscape, ideally with contacts/connections within that space for screenings/access to content
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a detail-oriented evaluation process to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier writers/reviewers
- Familiarity with media and pop culture trends, particularly in the U.K.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment and delegate workflow
- Experience with Google Docs, Sheets, etc.
- Technically savvy, with previous experience in online content management systems
THE X FACTOR:
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hard-working and a total team player.
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense Media mission.
- You have a great sense of humor -- even when meeting tough deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- An organization that offers work-life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.