Tech Policy Director
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through Common Sense Education, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curriculum and content. Through Common Sense Kids Action, our advocacy arm, we work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, parents, and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
LOCATION: San Francisco/Sacramento
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Develop a tech advocacy agenda that prioritizes kids' best interests, covering privacy and security, product design, AI, voice, and more.
- Manage Kids Action tech legislative advocacy efforts in California and nationwide to protect and empower kids and families in the digital age.
- Cultivate relationships with industry leaders and influencers to support humane tech reforms.
- Work in partnership with the Center for Humane Technology to create standards for ethical design for tech companies and platforms.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Policy and tech background, including master's or equivalent.
- 10 years of experience in tech and public policy
- Business and/or youth development experience a plus
- Platform knowledge and expertise
- Strong research and analytical capabilities; deep knowledge of the policy environment; excellent strategic leadership and organizational management capabilities.
THE X FACTOR:
- You have insider understanding of how tech platforms function, with an eye for how they need to work for people (and democracy).
- You're a people person but also a lover of data and analytics and the details that make for sound policy.
- You bring your diverse perspective to the job, advocating for great tech on behalf of kids everywhere, and you're someone uniquely positioned -- with a network, know-how, and the power of persuasion -- to help create a kid-healthy internet.
- Technical background a huge plus.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Very competitive salary based on experience
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.