Visual Designer/UI Designer
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are seeking an experienced Visual Designer/UI Designer to join our team. This person will be experienced in visual designs, web/interaction design, and possess top-notch communication, project-management, and presentation skills. This position will report to the Creative Director, and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
REPORT TO: Creative Director
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Create visual designs and interaction experiences for Common Sense's websites and mobile, TV, and other digital platforms to address user, business, brand, and market requirements.
- Ensure brand consistency; contribute to our visual design guidelines.
- Produce high-quality prototypes and wireframes, and deliver final optimized design assets ready for development.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including the UX researcher, other visual designers, the creative director, and the marketing and engineering teams to ensure designs are feasible, scalable, and executed correctly.
- Create comprehensive documentation for QA and design handoffs for engineering.
- Help establish and contribute to the continual improvement of our visual design and development process .
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ
- A bachelor's degree in visual design, web/interaction design, or a related field
- 3+ years of professional experience designing for responsive web user interfaces
- Strong portfolio showcasing user interfaces and mobile-first thinking
- Exceptional attention to detail with respect to creating visual design concepts and assets
- Ability to develop high-quality creative and concepts
- Experience working with user experience researchers, product managers, interaction designers, editors, and usability engineers
- Familiarity with assisting in the gathering of customer research and insights, and/or developing test plans to aid in the design and presentation process
- Excellent collaboration, problem-solving, and issue-resolution skills
- Top-notch communication, project-management, and presentation skills
- Detailed knowledge of visual design tools including but not limited to Sketch, InVision, Adobe Creative Cloud
- Familiarity with development tools and HTML
THE X FACTOR
You have a passion for product design and emerging interactive trends. You are self-directed and value collaboration as key to success. You have the skills to balance great design with short deadlines. You are a skilled communicator and relationship builder. Most importantly you are inspired by the Common Sense mission to help kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.