Vice President, Communications
Common Sense Media (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/)is the nation’s leading independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world filled with media and technology.
Our web site is a leading destination for parents and educators, providing information and guidance to make the most of the powerful media that surrounds and influences our kids. We offer the largest, most trusted library of independent, age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything kids want to watch, play, read and learn. Our content can be found onscreen and online through leading media partners, including Comcast, Time Warner Cable, DIRECTV, Cox Communications, Fandango, Yahoo!, Disney, Google, Netflix, Apple and Facebook, and reaches over 100 million homes. Our digital literacy and citizenship curricula are used in over 700 thousand schools, and we help teachers find the best edtech for learning. Finally, we work with policymakers nationwide to empower parents, educators and young people to harness the power of technology while keeping personal information private and protested.
Reporting to the CEO, and serving as an integral member of the senior team, the Vice President (VP), Communications will develop a world-class communications plan for Common Sense Media, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand and reputation. The VP, Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance Common Sense Media’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Common Sense Media programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Manage the communications team and outside consultants to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Set staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, establish priorities, conduct performance appraisals
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a senior management communications role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful use of new media technologies
- Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Superior written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
THE “X” FACTOR
- You are a persuasive communicator, skilled collaborator and innovative thinker, with a track record of translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- You are self-motivated and self-reliant, driven to perform. You serve as a role model of productivity for your team.
- You have demonstrated an ability to leverage your creativity and vision to get results.
- You are known for being calm, flexible and able to manage challenging situations with aplomb.
- You are inspired by Common Sense Media’s mission!
WHAT WE OFFER
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- A competitive salary and rich suite of health, welfare and lifestyle benefits
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids!
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please forward your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected]. Please note “VP, Communications” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.