Workplace Experience Manager
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are looking for an experienced and effective Workplace Experience Manager with solid experience in positively affecting workplace culture and office efficiency. You are energetic and can build and implement a range of procedures and best practices that support a distributed workforce (six locations and numerous other remote workers) and maintain a happy work environment. You will report to our VP, people operations, and work closely with members of the people operations, finance, and IT teams. The role will frequently work and collaborate with staff across the entire organization and will directly manage our front desk coordinator.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
REPORTS TO: VP, people operations
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Lead and implement strategies that support a healthy, supportive, and inclusive workplace experience.
- Develop procedures and best practices that contribute to a well-run and efficient workplace at our San Francisco headquarters and several remote offices.
- Grow facilities management across multiple offices, including assisting the CFO with the renewal of leases, risk and safety management, and insurance coverage.
- Promote healthy collaboration among offices and remote employees.
- Project-manage logistical aspects of the upcoming San Francisco office relocation and develop strategies for successful staff integration into the new space.
- Oversee daily office operations, including reception, mailroom, kitchen, and conference rooms.
- Coordinate reception coverage and provide backup as needed.
- Work with staff and building management to address any safety, security, or maintenance issues.
- Build preferred vendor relationships and collaborate with the front office coordinator to purchase office supplies, furniture, equipment, and catering in accordance with Common Sense's purchasing policies and budget guidelines.
- Plan regularly occurring and special office events (weekly in-office happy hour, staff recognition gatherings, annual holiday party, logistics for annual staff retreat, etc.).
- Work with people operations, IT, and finance to support candidate experience and new-hire onboarding procedures.
- Respond to and follow up on staff suggestions.
- Partner with regional offices and remote employees, including occasional travel to remote regional offices.
- Support Common Sense teams with finding external meeting and event space.
- Partner with the people operations team to provide direct support for the summer internship program in order to provide a substantive internship experience.
- Develop and coordinate the execution of organizational projects (e.g., the volunteer program).
- Expense reporting for ongoing office expenses.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ OR COVER LETTER:
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience.
- Prior management experience supervising people, projects, and budgets.
- Experience building lasting, trusting relationships with your colleagues.
- Experience adopting and implementing new technologies and processes.
- Commitment to fostering a healthy, supportive, and inclusive work environment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Customer service focused: You have the ability to guide people through both new and established procedures and to make employees feel both supported and empowered.
- Proactive and strategic: You can identify problems, anticipate future needs, and develop and implement solutions.
- Strong negotiating and budgeting skills: You're a thoughtful and strategic steward of organizational resources and can manage a budget.
- Ability to prioritize: You know how to manage your own workload and manage multiple duties and projects without becoming flustered.
- Detail-oriented and organized: Nothing slips by. You're mindful of big deadlines but don't lose sight of those small things that contribute to overall employee morale.
- Flexible, practical, and resourceful: You can quickly size up a situation and provide the right solution, whether that's a project plan or a quick fix.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: You're approachable, collaborative, and confident, with an eye on getting the job done well.
- Ability to work independently: You don't need to be micromanaged, but you know when to ask for help.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.