All member reviews for GarageBand

Powerful sequencer lets kids create pro-quality recordings.

Learning(i)

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe September 14, 2013

THIS IS MY FAVORITE APP OF ALL TIME!!!!!!

Some cool features you get to do on this app is compose your own music and add vocals to it. If you want to add vocals, you can add them with any of the seven main categories of content in Common Sense Media: Positive messages, positive role models, violence & scariness, sexy stuff, language, consumerism and drinking, drugs & smoking. Like for positive message lyrics I'd conclude would be like "It doesn't matter what you do / It doesn't matter what you're through / It doesn't matter who you taunt / You can provide what the world wants". Don't know for positive role models, but for violence I'd include lyrics like: "Don't put me down / I don't want to die / Don't put me down / Can't you all see why?" For sex lyrics, I'd include: "I never want to chase a girl's skirt / I have my own girlfriend who to flirt" I'd wouldn't add anything obscene, but mention an occasional produce placement and alcohol, drug and tobacco one or two times like "I got beer on my shirt / Drop it all on the dirt". It doesn't matter who you are, you can write your own song and compose it with this.
Kid, 9 years old July 25, 2013

Fun and User-Friendly

It's a wonderfully crafted app that lets anybody make music. It's easy to use, and fully functional. There are the smart instruments that are easy for beginners, and making music is so easy. I definitely recommend this app for any musicians, or kids & adults who want to be musicians.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 May 21, 2013

Great Music-Making App

Musicians, creative people, and people who just like music in general will love this app. It is SO easy to create music on here, plus there's a way for you to record you voice in case you want to sing! You can even put your music on iTunes-I've made several songs myself :). There's absolutely nothing offensive in this (unless of course YOU make it inappropriate), and I think it could be listed as "positive messages" because it teaches kids to use their imagination. So it's also educational in a way ;)
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander December 21, 2013

Nothing Remotely Inappropriate

GarageBand gives user the ability to play multiple instruments and record their playing sessions. There's nothing inappropriate in the app I could find. Very young kids will have a fun time tapping the keyboard to make sounds while older kids might want to experiment with more advanced tools, such as voice recording and putting together a music piece. You can access social networks such as Facebook and even Soundcloud, but you need to have an account to do so (which can not be created in the application). Overall GarageBand is a pretty robust music creating app. As a musician, playing more complex songs can prove to be difficult, as the screen real-estate is fairly small. It's otherwise a pretty fun app for all ages and musical abilities.
Kid, 10 years old February 11, 2014

LEARNING

Garage Band

Garage Band is a fun app for learning about music and melodies. You can put together fun music from the melodies and sounds that they provide. It also has a touch piano pad, so you can create your own melodies and sounds. It is fun for learning, but hard to use if you don't know how to use it. After you learn how, you're good to go!
Kid, 10 years old July 30, 2013

Good app

This app is great. It's useful but on the other hand very hard to use