Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for HBO NOW

Clumsy parent settings make streaming app OK for kids.

Based on 1 review
Parent of a 9, 11, and 13 year old Written byAaron H. June 17, 2017

Poor Parental Controls

I just started a free trial from my Amazon Fire TV stick and am very disappointed in the parental controls aspect. First the parental controls were not accessible from the HBO NOW app on the t.v. stick, instead I had to logon to the we application to make the changes. Once the threshold for movie and t.v. ratings are selected, it does a great job filtering the content. However there is no way for adults to access the content either. The application only has a single profile so it is all or nothing. If this is something a user can live with then ignore my rating. If, like me, parental control means "control" not just content filtering I would advise you to consider if you are diligent enough to manage the control settings. By this I mean the only way to watch content above the settings threshold (for my settings PG-13 and above), the settings have to be modified - effectively removing the parental control to allow access. This concerns me for 2 reasons: if the settings are not returned then content is no longer filtered for a child afterwards. And if content is being consumed simultaneously (which may not be possible, I am not certain of HBO's policy of allowance) then other user's accessing content while the settings are altered will be allowed the same level of access. I would expect the opportunity to enter a PIN or Password when restricted content is requested in order to view the content. The current design of the parental controls leaves me feeling uneasy that I am fully protecting my family from accessing content I don't feel is appropriate and still allowing adults access to the content I am likely interested in from HBO.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byPaula R. April 3, 2018

Disappointing

My subscription was through itunes, every time I went to login through my Apple TV or ipad, I had to login again as a first time user. Half the time I would get alerts saying that my subscription was about to expire after paying monthly for the subscription. Whenever, I reached out for support I was placed into this endless loop between itunes and HBONow. HBONow would say contact Apple, Apple has no way for you to contact a person, and every contact avenue they offer takes you right back to HBONOW. I paid for a Subscription for over a year that I probably used for about 2-3 months total.