All member reviews for Instagram

Great app makes sharing pretty, private photos all too easy.

Learning(i)

Parent Written bymidwest mom May 18, 2012

BEWARE of INSTAGRAM! Not something your kids should download.

This app has no privacy controls. Young kids are posting innocent photos that anyone in the Instagram community can "like" and then total strangers' photos, profanity, and sexually explicit images can show up on your kids iPod! BEWARE!!!
Parent Written byArceusBlitz1 June 19, 2012

13 and up? Really?

This is an amazing app. I'm addicted. But 13 and up for this is too much. I've seen 7 year olds sharing photos and following people. Instagram is way safer than Facebook and I'd rather have Insta than FB (I don't even have one). The only thing I would be concerned about is the people you follow. If your child decides to have an Instagram, tell them to follow only people and friends they actually know and talk to on a regular basis. I don't just go and follow everyone I've seen before or heard of. There's this one girl I know and her username is "Follow me and I'll follow you". She has over a thousand followers. DO NOT do that. Great app for sharing pictures but it's good to be a little safe on it.
Kid, 10 years old May 25, 2012

LEARNING

Great if you show your kids the ropes

Very good. Teaches kids about the arts. Fun way to interact with friends all across the world.. HOWEVER, It's INCREDIBLY easy to have some creep get in contact your children. Children can (although the rules prohibit this, you know what teens are like) post partially nude/nude pictures and post pictures of drugs, alcohol other stuff. Also great for brainwashing kids into buying products, as many companies are creating accounts nowadays. Also easy to reveal personal info. Tell them to check with you before posting any photos, put their settings on private, and make sure to tell you before accepting any followers/following someone. Make an account and follow you kids to make sure everything they post is a-okay. I, as a ten year old, find it a great way to keep in contact with my friends, and am also keeping safe at the same time.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycyellen10 June 3, 2012

13 and UP

I think instagram is a great way for people to share photos. Its also a great "first social network" for young kids. It is a social network though so I recommend teens (13 and up) to use it.
Parent of a 9, 11, and 17 year old Written bysmartcookie February 24, 2013

Fun, but best for mature, self disciplined kids

I have a 17, 11 & 9 year old, and the changes in social media over the past 5 years have been staggering. While safety is an obvious concern, the more practical concern for me is what all the screen time is doing to young brain and social skill development. When my oldest was a preschooler, it was generally accepted by parents that too much TV was bad for young minds. With the excitement over new technology, (myself included) it is easy to let them spend hours exploring fun new apps on a variety of screens. My teen ager has had this app for almost a year, and we have discussed the importance of choosing carefully what she posts - no sexually provacative shots, nothing you wouldn't want your grandmother to see. Kids often forget that anyone who has access to their account can "screen shot" any picture they post. This means that once you post a picture, you lose control of where it might end up. Kids are often not very choosy about who they follow and who they allow to follow them, in an attempt to look more "popular" they will often let friends of friends follow them, or follow popular celebrities or older teens. The pictures celebrities and older teens post can be provocative, and the comments crude. There is also the down side of seeing what your peers are doing, 24 / 7. It is easy to get the idea that "everyone" is having fun, and I'm not. In reality, this isn't the case, but teens can become obsessed with what everyone else is doing, and stop being engaged with their own life. Yes, teens have always been preoccupied with the social life of others, but now they never get away from the constant "high light" reel of everyone else's life. It makes it harder to focus on being themselves. My 9 & 11 year old do not have the app, because I have seen the down side of social media for kids who use it at too young an age. First, my 9 year old daughter has friends who follow much older girls and imitate the behavior of teenagers. Nothing is creepier to me than a 9 year old girl trying to be sexually provocative on social media. I would prefer my younger daughter not be aware of what teens do at parties for another 5 years or so. Childhood is short enought the way it is. With my 11 year old son, I notice that when his friends come over now, they are more interested in folliowng social media and texting than in playing basketball, or interacting with the people who are in the room with them. I see their normally good social skills dissolving in front of my eyes. I have not even touched on the drama that can occur when kids use social media to exclude or be cruel to others. It definitely makes it much easier to be mean, when you don't have to look at the person you are mistreating. I think parents have a responsibility to monitor what their children are posting, to make sure that their kids don't get caught up in the drama of the moment and post hurtful things. It is simply part of teaching your child to be a responsible human being. Unfortunately, monitoring takes time, and if you don't have it (like I don't for my 2 youngest) you probably shouldn't let your kids have the app. That being said, this is a really fun app for the socially & emotionally mature. Until there is more research on the effects of social media I will proceed with caution and limit the screen time my kids have, while monitoring (following) what they post. Yes, kids can create a separate account to keep parents in the dark, but if you are an engaged, aware parent, you will probably catch on to this trick.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySamlovesz June 3, 2012

Cool

Its a app for art and to show your work with freinds!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPinkalicious28 July 8, 2012

I <3 Instagram!

Instagram is my favorite app, and is perfect for sharing photos with friends! It is more for teenagers and pre-teens. If you want to be safe on IG, set your photos to private so strangers won't automatically follow you. It is so much safer then Facebook, because you can't just start a conversation anywhere, only on a photo, where everyone can see.
Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2012

...

There are a lot of sick people on this app, just looking for someone innocent. I would not suggest this app for kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKhOiCoOl July 18, 2012

great app

It is a very cool social media app. Although curse or brand may appear in pic or comment
Educator and Parent Written byAristarchus September 4, 2012

Not family friendly

The ability for anyone to read unfiltered comments makes this app inappropriate for teen use.
Parent Written byscrpnmom74 September 30, 2012

Be aware

You really need to be aware of the privacy settings on Instagram. Anyone can follow your kids profile/photos and I have seen kids posting info. such as names, ages, schools, etc...things that clearly we as parents do not want the world to know. Once the photos are out there, there really is no telling who will see them or use them. I honestly thought Instagram was to take fun pictures, little did I know.
Parent Written byTuxedo2 December 30, 2012

Instagram IS NOT ABOUT PICTURES

"Picture sharing with cool effects..." is NOT what tweens use instagram for. If you allow your child to download this app (that is assuming you know what apps your children load), please make sure to switch to private settings and disable geotags. Public settings are the default. Kids post in order to gain "likes" and "followers." It's a bit scary to see what these kids post. Most tweens share some pictures but many more post "sayings" or "jokes" that they see on other apps. Popular items like "WTF SAYING # 2." Kids can comment anywhere and on anything my son has been called a "gay pervert" and "retard" for no reason on other people's pages. Kids may post pictures from a party-- which leaves others to wonder why they've not been invited. Simply said, middle school is hard enough without a social media site! Lastly, many kids are competing for followers which means they are either public or accepting any stranger as a followers. And most have their geo tag set to on-- which means anyone can locate where the picture was taken on a map. Safe??????????
Parent Written byMichael Leifer February 11, 2013

Come on Common Sense - Where's the Instagram Guidance?

Come on Common Sense!!! You need to be more relevant. Where's your article on Best Instagram Practices for Tweens and Young Teens? I've been at meetings where people have asked you for that and for over a year you'd said it would be forthcoming. Where is it?? When are you going to have it? Do you need someone to write it? Pierre Omidayar and the Omidyar Network gave you money to help parents. So help them vs just charging private schools as a "recommended non-profit donation" for your services that only offer the top level "digital citizen" solutions and not practical day to day current information that is applicable. Our family rule is to not post pictures of yourself. But our daughter says that all of her friends are and she feels left out. What are the best ways to discuss with other parents in a diplomatic and nuanced way so they don't feel judged? Many parents in the modern world claim that they don't have the time to follow or see what their children are doing on Instagram or using SnapChat. The only link you have on your instagram information is to a page that just talks about Facebook. Many of these young kids don't even want to be on facebook as that is what their parents do. I also was not able to post this comment without rating the product and I don't want to have to rate a product to participate in the conversation. The rating should be optional. Parents want more than just ratings these days, they want plug and play recommendations that are usable for the evolving channels of the web. "How would you rate the learning potential for this?" is far too broad and lacks context. The app may be good for learning if it helps to teach kids to explore, share, curate, become more cultured, develop an aesthetic eye, demonstrates collaboratively how they can turn a phrase and provide engaging commentary or generates thinking that is thought provoking about the imagery being posted, but only if the postings and participation are managed and monitored correctly with parenting or mentor-based guidance for our Tweens and young Teens. Please deliver on your mission with the services, and requested information that is topical vs just ratings. Respectfully, Michael
Teen, 14 years old Written bycplovesbroadway April 23, 2013

A Fangirl's Favorite App

Let me begin by saying I am a *mature* 13 year old girl who is obsessed with books, celebrites from movies adapted from the books I love, and, um, IG. I have four accounts: the first, public, with over 1k followers, is my fandom account. On this account I post pictures from HP, THG, PJ, Divergent, etc. No selfies, not telling personal info, and I disabled geotags. Though I follow 2k+ people, I only follow accounts that are fandom based. Plus, I block and report anyone who follows me that seems even the slightest bit shady. The second, private, is my personal account. There I post selfies and random stuff from my life, allowing only people I know to follow me and following only people I know and a few select fandom accounts. The third, public, is a baking account. I post pictures I find of cakes; it's as simple as that- again, I block/report shady people. My fourth account, currently public, is a spare. I have it ready if I decide to make a new account. Moving on: Why I say it has good messages: many inspirational quotes are posted daily, as well as posts that encourage you to read different books. Why I say it has language: Well, it does. Almost any words you can think of, BUT- any 10+ year old knows a majority of cuss words and not to say them. I read cuss words in books, see them on IG, hear them in movies, yet I don't cuss at all. There is little sexy or violent stuff, however, so no worries there! HOW TO STAY SAFE AND APPROPRIATE: Public account= no selfies, geotags, email, birthday, etc. Private account= just don't put anything in your profile! Always block suspicious people, and report those with too sexy content. DO NOT post suggestive pictures, pictures with bad words, etc. This can lead to problems if people you DON'T want to see it (i.e. future employers, college administrators, principals...) If I see a pic I like with a bad word, I edit it out. So, Instagram: It's AWESOME! Just use it right :) ~Ciara
Parent Written byFairReviewer April 29, 2013

Stop and think about it before saying no

Although it's not a perfectly safe site, Instagram can be a very educational site. How? Two reasons. If your kids get to follow other classmates and friends on Instagram, they learn about their own school's social structure and that of all schools. They learn about parties, what's cool, what's not, etc. Sure kids should be able to decide these on their own but the truth is, kids will fit in with other kids better if they are aware of these unwritten social rules. Cyber-bullying is too often seen as one of the worst forms of bullying. This can be true every-so-often, but social exclusion is a far more common yet under-discussed form of bullying. It's under looked because it isn't as obvious and kids can exclude others without any intention for harm. My second reason is that it teaches kids about pop culture, and about how inappropriate the internet can be first hand. It always seems like protecting parents end up causing bullying to their kids because they don't allow their child to explore the real world and engage in mature activities (of course dangerous ones are okay to disallow.)
Teen, 13 years old Written byIloveoreo December 31, 2012

Just as bad as Facebook

There is a fair amout of bad words but it keeps me in touch with many of my friends that I don't get to see often. Tip if you should get it: turn on the privacy setting!
Kid, 12 years old October 21, 2012

Awesome app

Instagram is the best app ever. All my friends use it. its really useful but its not for kids under 12 because lots of photos have bad language or nudity in them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 October 31, 2012

Fun, free photo-editing app

This is a nice app for editing photos. I wish it had some more editing options on it, but it is free, so I guess they wouldn't have too much. Parents should know that Instagram photos can include inappropriate photo, depending on the poster. Also, privacy can be an issue since your Instagram profile can be public. However, you can change it so that your profile is private. This way, only your followers (who you must approve of first) can see your pictures.
Teen, 16 years old Written by1Dinfinity March 2, 2013

Addicted.

I've been an Instagram user since about a year ago. When I first started, I posted pictures of my dog. That was it. Instagram allows you to change your username, so I made my account a so-called "Hipster" account. That luckily gained me many followers. Many kids, well, their main goal is to get the most followers. Over the time I've had this app, I've changed my username and theme of my account a lot. I finally settled on an account. I LOVE Instagram. It's my baby. I use Instagram to follow my friends, some 'hipster' accounts, and my 1D Fangirl Accounts. For me, I don't post pictures of myself, but if your child does, I recommend that you put their account on Private. Anybody can get into their account if they don't and most of the time access personal information the kid posts. I've seen sexual references and swear words, but what do you do? Unfollow Them. I have the philosophy that if I don't want my parents seeing it on my newsfeed, I shouldn't be looking at it. If your child gets a Instagram, I recommend you get one too and follow them to make sure everything they post is a-OK. As long as you keep it clean and safe, Instagram is a GREAT social network that you and your child will love!
Kid, 11 years old December 23, 2012

Doesnt suck

Instagram is a fun app although alot of people can become so freaking addictive. Some people can be mean put you can report it