All teen and kid member reviews for Kik Messenger

Teen, 14 years old Written byMadisonBiersack January 25, 2013

Madison Biersack

I LOVE KIK <3 It's completely safe as long as you don't talk to random people. Don't listen to the other reviews, they're probably parents being overprotective. -.- I use this to talk to my friends, so much more easier than texting.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2013

Kik Messenger

Kik Messenger is an interactive messenger that is unlimited and free. It is not at all similar to Facebook or Twitter, it is not an online social network and you choose who you want to add. Also, there is a blocking feature sutiable to block anyone who is causing the user problems, also Kik are very strict and any unacceptable behaviour can be reported to Kik. Kik website provides information about Kik and phones avaliable to download Kik on, it is not a place to access Kik. Kik can only be used on a smartphone (depending if Kik is avaliable to download from the smartphone's application store). On Kik, your details do not appear. You can create a nickname, and you don't have to upload a picture of yourself. Nonetheless, Kik is not to everyone's liking but it is worth trying Kik out. There is so caution to be taken, Kik offers related apps and one called OinkText will send alarm bells ringing, it allows Kik users to chat with total strangers, OinkText does not come with Kik, it has to be downloaded seperately to use, it can be unsafe as unknown people may cause trouble to other users.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeretohelp26 November 7, 2012

It's fine

It's a perfectly fine messaging app as long as you restrict you're children from oink text the app connected to Kik which randomly chooses Kik users for you to chat with
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2013

ff

i want a kik cause it gives u time to talk to f
Kid, 10 years old August 16, 2013

Brilliant, but NOT for 9 and under

Kik is great! All my friends use it and so do I. The only thing is, strong language can be used whenever, and won't have like them star things (*) unless the person putting it there decides to. Another thing is that anyone who has Kik can find you if they know your username, and they also added a new update recently where you can use stickers, but you have to buy them. Other than that, it is a fantastic app and I love itttt!!!
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2013

Useful app, Lots of bullying!

I got this app because my friends told me to, and i just set up a account. Now we can chat more easily! It's really good, and also pretty cool if you don't have a iphone to text. You can block people, but some people from my school send really nasty messages, just block. The recent update has made it for 17+ users only, which means i can't use it anymore as my parents put a restriction. Now you can search for pictures, youtube videos, etc and now it's unsafe. Plus you have to enter your real name, but mine's fake. It used to be for all ages. Very cool though, but need internet connection of course. I would recommend this app to teens. It got banned at my school, because they got mad at me texting at night, lol. Awesome! It's free! If someone asks for your username online, do not tell them. You can be stalked and IP address hacked.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspenguin April 29, 2013

Not as bad as you think

It's as safe as you want it to be. You can block people if the bother you. You can also block people from ever sending you a text if they are not in your contacts. Everyone else on here is being over dramatic and worrying too much.
Teen, 16 years old Written byperson12345 July 23, 2013

Kik is okay if you're a good person

Like most internet stuff, kik is a way to connect with other people. There is absolutely no way to keep people from swearing on an app designed to be a copy of classic texting so parents please don't try to control it.
Kid, 11 years old January 18, 2015

STAY AWAY!!!

Not for kids at all!! I was 9 when I downloaded this app and at first it seemed harmless.... I WAS WRONG I started getting severely cyber-bullied....It got out of control!! I was getting depressed and ended up going to a mental institution for it.... I WAS 10! You have almost no privacy control! Later on I started getting sexually bullied and harassed on it. This site mentally dented myself for life.... Dont make the same mistake Its fun for awhile but not for long.. and btw WAY TOO MUCH CONSUMERISM
Teen, 15 years old Written byJohnny The Stick December 31, 2013

A Useful App Which Can be Used for Unintended Purposes

Functionally, this app works quite well. In fact, this app is nearly perfect in what it does. However, it can be put to a "bad" use. Many teens use this app for "sexting" (or sending others nude photos of themselves). This really isn't a danger unless the user gives their in-app username out to the public (which I wouldn't recommend). However, you can't blame this innocent app for what people decide to do with it. If teens aren't using this to sext, they'll find another way. So, this app is not a problem on its own. The problem is the users. Long story short, this app works perfectly well. The user just needs the judgement skills to use the app responsibly.
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2014

I was Stalked!!!!!

It is basically where the sexual predators stalk their prey I had the BAD idea to post my username on a review in the App Store the first text I got was from some creepy pedophile NOT from my friends which I had told I didn't know what a pedophile was and how to identify them so I kept talking then I got another pedo text with a picture of the guy's D*** don't let your kids get this app I was seduced by peer pressure thank god I didn't tell him my address
Teen, 16 years old Written byalynichelle May 3, 2013

Depends on the user..

This app can be used in various ways. Some people would use it wrong in many ways you can imagine or it can be used in replacement of texting, to keep up with friends.
Kid, 11 years old January 20, 2014

Don't listen to the others, Kik is awesome

I know that I'm a kid but still, if you're curious about kik just read this HONEST review of kik. Kik is a great app. Lots of my friends have it, and I have never encountered any sort of inappropiate language or anything sex-related, and I have also never talked to a stranger, even though my kik username is on my Instagram bio. It's 100% safe and trustworthy as I've used it for a long time and never seen anything wrong. The only thing I would definitely recommend is too not get one of the add-on apps called "Oink Text", which puts you with a random kik user. But don't worry because it's a separate app. DON'T LISTEN TO THE PARENT REVIEWS THEY ARE BEING OVER PROTECTIVE! The only reason other people could contact you is if you told everyone on your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, ect. your username. But as I said, I put it on IG and I have yet to meet a stranger.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymr_post22 September 1, 2013

Fun but bad

Kik has good features, like the ability to see if someone has read your message or not, all the apps that come with it, and so much more.I use Kik to message my friends who don't have a phone. But I know people who use it as a form of sexual pleasure. People will share nudes of them selves with other people who they don't even know and never talk to them again.
Kid, 10 years old May 26, 2013

Kik

Kik is generally good for people simply wanting to talk to friends. As long as people don't talk to randoms it's fine... As for age the youngest is nine? But as long as people are responsible it's harmless.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylexilooloo October 26, 2012

Kik, close to Facebook sorta

It can be quite inappropriate because you never know fully who you talk to. But it can be a good chat site for friends talking to friends. Not total strangers tho, because it then can lead to bad things. Like stalking, info given away, inappropriate things said, bad pictures sent/swapped... etc
Teen, 16 years old Written byPbdd127 January 19, 2015

Evil

I got this app to message all my friends. I know other people say you need a username to chat with someone, but random people started messaging me within 5 hours of getting this app. People asked me questions about where I lived and how old I was, which is pretty common in social apps. Kids just need to know not to answer. But these people sent me horrible pictures. Two people, who said the were 13, and 16, told me if I didn't tell them my address so they could give me pleasures, they would commit suicide. Believe me, I could tell they weren't kids. The app itself is good for messaging friends and works very smoothly, but most users are here to scare you into giving them your info to rape you. Kids may be lured into this trap. I have deleted kik, so I reckon you do the same.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytuxdude143 September 2, 2013

Kik is an interesting one.

Kik the instant messaging for mobiles is good. Now thats not to say its not without flaws. The app has its fair share of privicy issues such as not being able to hide your last name or first name (Which is why I put my screen name in the name box). Also the app is a prime area of sexual harrasment and targeting. I did some research on kik and found that kik names are distributed a lot on the stranger chat site omegle. I had a look and found that a lot of people will ask for kik names if they either A. wanna keep talking or B. Wanna send something sexually explicit. Thats one of kik's other slip ups. It has no filter or chat bot or anything so anything goes. Photos can be sent that can be sexually explicit and kik will not do anything to stop it. Still, kik does its job and if its keeping in touch with friends at school or someone who you have known for a while then its fine. I HIGHLY reccomend that you use the blocking feature if someone is harrasing you though. For people who you just met, tread with caution. If you exchange kik names with someone you have just met MAKE SURE that your first name and last name is changed to something like your screen name to avoid privicy issues. Also if they ask for something explicit, BLOCK THEM. So, in summery kik is either good or bad depending on how its used. Its a great way of keeping in touch with friends but is also a way for people to bully or harras. In the end it comes down to what you would use it for. I would reccomend kik only to teenagers aged 14 or over and who are mature and have experiance with internet privicy. Otherwise tread with caution. And parents, if your teen does get kik be sure regulary talk to them about it and if anything has happened because if something does happen then you need to take action.
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2013

Great app...for teens.

I love Kik Messenger. I have it myself. I use it almost everyday, with no problems whatsoever. It is almost completely private, because you have to know someones username in order to chat with them. Some people have issues with it because kids tend to chat with random people and find themselves in "sticky situations." Well, as long as your child doesn't talk with total strangers, they're good to go.
Teen, 13 years old Written byE.W fresc May 5, 2015

LEARNING

Smart kid's know how to use stuff.

I've read a lot of articles and trust me there is danger in kik. Overall though kik is good for smart user's .Here's the thing you should watch your kid and have access to their kik and watch out for predator's because there are.Even at my school their is a pedophile trying to socialite girl's to send him nude's which is disgusting.If you only use kik for friends and maybe some stranger's but only if your careful don't respond to text about talking immediately just wait to see their true nature and if they have an Instagram see what they post on it.There are a lot of bad thing's about kik but if you use it smartly then you'll be good.And though this has no relevance whatsoever the parent's who let there kid's do whatever they want and don't care and they don't tend to read this.Iif they do they don't change it usually, it is the parent's like you with responsible kid's who do and prevent them from spending time with their friends on these sight's because the wrong's of the few out way the responsibility of the many. I mean come on not everyone is that sex crazy and not everyone is dumb enough to fall for it and your kid's mostly won't.I mean growing up with protective parent's I know they won't. Mature kid's can handle mature situation's and hopefully your kid's aren't even leading you to think they're as pervy to send nude's back or ask. Though desperate people send that junk out to other's we need to realize they feel unwanted and unloved and need to help them however we can. Well that's a lot for a teen I guess so that's all.