Challenging robot adventure surprises with touching story.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLukeTheGreat May 1, 2012

A difficult, but child-safe masterpiece.

Right off the bat: Machinarium is one of the best games I've ever played. Any adult gamer needs to buy this, period. That said, this game may be a bit difficult for younger users. Although I was able to complete the game without using a walkthrough, some of the puzzles can be a bit obscure for anyone unfamiliar with such games. In addition, the villains can be somewhat threatening at times, and smoking is seen, although both of these problems are rare. Overall, this is a great game for children to just explore around and take in its beautiful environments, but if they wish to actually get anywhere, they may want to wait until they're older.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander June 21, 2013

Beautiful Game May Frustrate Some

If it were a matter of maturity, I would have given an age recommendation of 10 and up and possibly even lower. Mature content may not be an issue but the player must be old enough to truly appreciate the art and themes of Machinarium and must have the knowledge to solve these rather difficult puzzles. It's worth playing, but I'd give this an iffy rating for younger kids because they may not appreciate the level of difficulty of the puzzles. As far as mature content goes, there isn't too much to find here. There are a couple small references to violence, but it is mostly the type you would see in playground bullying. Josef, the main character, is bullied by other robots and memories are shown of him being pushed, having money stolen, having a sand castle destroyed, and other bullying acts. Residents of this city you explore have also been effected by this bullying. One person had his radio stolen while another had his drum broken, showing the negative impact on bullying. The only other violence that is depicted in the game is a bomb threat. The bullies strap a bomb onto a tower where Josef's friends are being held. An animation shows the tower being blown up from a distance, however you are able to rewind time in order to save your friends. Other than that, the only other issue parents may have is there are two scenes where drugs are used. One is in an earlier level where Josef is held in a prison cell and must make a cigarette for an inmate in order for him to help Josef. To make the cigarette, he finds a some wet weeds in a pipe, dries them on a lightbulb, and then wraps the burned weed in toilet paper. Additionaly, Josef has a a flashback of making a cigar with the end of a cattail plant, but quickly hides it when a guard comes near. Both creation processes are unrealistic, however it may give kids ideas. This is the only mature content seen in game, however I raised the age recomendation to 12 and up because the puzzles can be excruciatingly difficult. The puzzle elements can be hidden a little too well in the environments and they can really fry your brain. Fortunately there is an in game walkthrough for all the stages, but it would have been nicer if this was not necessary if the puzzle difficulty was toned down a bit. Despite the puzzles being difficult, I found it definitely worth the ride. The music and art work was amazingly done, the characters are a delight even without speaking a single word, and the game just makes you feel like a good person. Josef is not solely focused on saving his friends, but he additionaly helps others who have been affected by bullying along the way. Additionaly there is a cute love story between Josef and his girlfriend, one of his friends he is trying to save in the tower. Josef is a great rolemodel, and his character really makes up for the game's difficulty.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydmendelsohn8 September 16, 2013

Very Good

This game is the best game ever! I am a parent of three and I definitely recommend this game to any other child of 7 years or older. All of my children love this game and it is at a wonderful price of only 5.99$!
Parent Written byluzdubos December 23, 2015

Brain tester

My 8 year old kid love it. Some puzzles are really hard, but with the hints and guide, they can be easily solved, so the kid does not get bored if his stuck. I have to confess I also play it and it was very fun. We spent quite some time thinking and talking about how to solve some of the puzzles and minigames. A lovely game!
Kid, 11 years old September 21, 2014

HARD BUT TOTALLY AWESOME

This is the best game I ever played although I'm stuck on the galaga part. There is a robot that smokes once. HAVENT FINISHED IT YET BUT IT IS THE BEST GAME EVER I GIVE IT INFINITY STARS PLAY IT YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT!!!! U might rage quit though.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynintengirl64 March 26, 2014

ADVENTURE LOGIC!

This game just has hilarious adventure logic. See a thing? Put it in your mouth! Then make a (ma-hig-ah) out of it and give it to this guy! Oh, his leg fell off! He doesn't need it, he's a druggie.