Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Minecraft - Pocket Edition

Worthy spin-off of popular PC game encourages creativity.

Adult Written byhelper + April 7, 2012

good

i love this to fun

Educational Value
Adult Written byJLBD February 28, 2015

There is violence and there is killing

Many people love the "creativity" that Minecraft offers, however I hear little about the violence and killing. It is not super realistic, but it still involves your child acting as a character that kills other beings. Games where the child acts as a killer have been proven to decrease empathy. Who wants a less empathetic world?

Parent Written byerinw2 October 27, 2014

Killing animals is not fun

Parent Written bymom2punkynbear January 9, 2013

My kids LOVE this game. I love that they love it!!! Shhh!

My 5&7yo boys have built several unimaginable worlds on this game. Though the game is grainy and boxy, I am surprised at how much they learned to do with it all on their own. The game makes me motion sick, so they have had to learn it all on their own. There was a bit of a learning curve but once my 7yo figured it all out he readily tutored his brother in anything he needed help with. The game has also helped to reinforce our boundaries at home. In our house a sibling is not allowed to enter the room of another sibling without permission. This rule has been adapted to include the entering each others worlds on the game. To hear them working together in each others worlds and working out their minor differences while doing so has been great. The practice of asking permission to enter a world, has actually transferred to them always asking before entering each others bedroom...ALWAYS since the game. Amazing thing for this household as I have been working on this concept for 3 years with them in the home. Even in survival mode the screen is so grainy and boxy there is no real scare to it for them, and my 5yo is the easy to frighten type who is prone to nightmares (not one issue even with a month of playing this). The monsters just blink an orangey red color before being vanquished. The food sources do the same before they are assumed to be consumed. Our only down side is the limit of 2 hours of screen time (which they must earn). They would play this game day and night without pause to eat if we let them. But we are very strict about screen time. The best part is that even this drawback has an awesome slip side. Our kids readily and happily EARN their screen time through completing chores without complaint and good behavior in general. They have been the best behaved little creatures ever. Any start of a ruckus need only a quick reminder that if they cannot work it out peacefully, they will not earn screen time. LOVE IT!
Adult Written byMediaXpert April 13, 2014

Wonderful Game; Lacks Content

THE GAME: Minecraft is a game where the player mines, crafts things, (hence the name), and builds anything they want. There are no tutorials, no limits, no missions, no cutscenes, and no actual ending. RATING: Minecraft is a five star game. It is wonderful idea and an awesome game, engaging for kids and adults. It fosters creativity and resourcefulness. The problem is: PE lacks the content that the PC and XBox versions have. It is being updated, but at an (annoyingly) slow pace. AGE: Rated ON for 6 and up for: Mild fantasy violence. This game has no dialouge, and everything is made of blocks. It is devoid of everything but some very mild fantasy violence: there is no blood, and it is NO WHERE near being graphic. The violence is infrequent as well. Online accessibility is always an issue; that's a given!

Educational Value
Parent Written byOso R. July 14, 2013

I guess maybe if you like it...

Yeah, pocket edition isn't the same. The new update is ok, and it costs 7 bucks. The only entertaining thing to do is build a farm. But you have to build the building and that kinda sometimes sucks. A kid I know was playing on survival. He was really good at fighting mobs, but all of a sudden the game glitches, sending 4 creepers for him to deal with. I always try to turn on Peaceful, but the new update makes that impossible. Try the computer version or watch some tutorials for Pocket edition, even if they aren't even good.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 7 year old Written byDena R. March 2, 2017

Has some positive and some questionable aspects

My boys love playing this game on the iPad. They're 7.5 years old and I wish I wouldn't have introduced until they were a bit older. We've had the game for about 6 months. I only let them play in creative mode because survival mode can connect online and can interact with others. It seems safer to just let them create their own world rather than enter other people's worlds. However, even in creative mode, I found at first they were walking around and killing animals and creating gollums (not sure how to spell that), and interacting with zombies and other creatures. Did you know you can create a pig bomb? These are all things they are learning from kids at school. They come one with little "recipes" on how to make different things or what you can do with something...like throwing a sheep in lava. Making and creating is great. Making pig bombs or killing animals makes me a little uncomfortable. This is a "first-person" game where you are doing the action...you aren't controlling a figure (like a bird in angry birds...this game you can choose to kill things and if you eat it can get more health, but you don't have to, you can just go around killing things, trapping things, throwing creatures in lava just for fun, without a consequence). No, I'm not anti hunting or anti gun and I know it's just a game. I just think, they are 7 years old and kids at that age still learning right from wrong, compassion, and empathy. It's not real, but killing for no reason with no ramification or result just feels a little icky to me. It's creates a good discussion opportunity with kids - talking about why you would kill something, We've had conversations about the good and bad and what neat things you can do with the game. Over the past 6 months they've started building things and have become more creative with it, so it's much better. They enjoy it, but it is very limited at our house and always played under a watchful eye. If you haven't downloaded this game, just be prepared. I would suggest waiting until kids are 8 or 9 when they have a better understanding on how to create and build their world. It may also depend on how their friends play with it or your kid's interests. Of course all kids are different, I just wanted to share my experience, some things to be aware of and my perspective on it.
Adult Written byLivveel January 13, 2015

VERY GOOD FOR LEARNING

Kids express their creativity with the new app minecraft. Adults need to know that there is a multi player option but its hard to activate. I don't think your kids will access it easily.

Adult Written byyasmeena January 26, 2016

Adult Written byderekb2 September 8, 2015

Good For Kids!

It Is A Great Game That Shows Kids How To Bring Out There Creative Side!

Parent of a 12 year old Written by[email protected] November 18, 2015

Too many Vulgar langguages..

i dont know any good for Learning for this MINECRAFT game but what i heard is VULGAR languages (in chinese) and they seems like enjoying themselves making jokes FULL of Vulgar languages.. im not sure which version of MINECRAFT game but i would be very grateful if the Media can take some action on it.. THANKS..
Adult Written byNathanielH 1 November 9, 2015

MCPE Review

Minecraft the game that it’s original name Cave Game made Notch (the creator of Minecraft) have to change the name to Minecraft because it had 0 buyers that bought the game, but today we’re talking about Minecraft Pocket Edition. In MCPE you can have unlimited players on a local multiplayer server but a limited amount of players in an online server and remember kids the #1 rule in Minecraft is never dig strait down you could land in a deep cave entrance where you fall to your death or land in an underground lava pool and melt to death. The #2 rule is never dig strait up because you could suffocate in sand or gravel or find a lava pool in a cave or above ground or drown. In all Minecraft versions you have two options to choose from Creative or Survival. In creative you have all resources and can fly and you can’t die; in survival you have limited resources and have to survive the night by defending yourself from monsters (mobs) and make sure you get food fast because now you have a hunger bar in MCPE. There are 4 difficulties Peaceful, Easy, Medium and Hard each of these have different things happen in the game. In peaceful there aren’t any mobs; in easy you don’t get badly damaged but you still take damage; in medium it’s a little bit harder; in hard there’s baby zombies and zombies can break down doors.

Adult Written bysimpsonsfan22 April 13, 2015

Great game

Great game learning brain game you can build anything on creative and on survival recourses are different. It's great

Adult Written byVikings September 3, 2014

#mineing

#FBC#fireball is my new world

Adult Written byLance420117 December 7, 2014
Parent of a 1 year old Written byJaedon k. September 1, 2017

Privacy concerns

This game is nice and fun. but there is privacy concerns. In public servers, people can chat with other players and share info. We recommend supervising your child when playing this game.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAlly G. October 4, 2017

Good Family Fun

Our son does not play on an open server with other people. Our family can all play together in the same world which is a blast (we join from our home computer or other tablets). This works best for us! We gave this game to him for his 6th birthday and he loves it. He enjoys both creative and peaceful or easy survival modes. It's amazing the things he can create. He'll translate a lot of what he builds digitally to the real world with his Legos.

Adult Written byLuke S. March 13, 2018

Servers Sex Bad Words

Wow just servers people saying bad words to other people and sex I'd never let people play until their teens to play on servers.

Parent Written byJen F. January 1, 2017
Adult Written bySamuel M. May 16, 2018

THIS GAME IS NOT A SPIN OF OF MINECRAFT THIS IS MINECRAFT

This game is the mobile version of minecraft and its owned by mojang. also DONT DOWNLOAD BLOCKMAN MULTIPLAYER for minecraft because people keep on building strip clubs and online dating. sometimes they share censored photos of their real selves and share personal information.