Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Monkey -- have fun chats

Quick video-chatting with strangers for older teens only.

Parent Written byCarmen A March 25, 2017

Too much nudity for minors, or anyone under 18!

Happened to see my son and his friend using the monkey app, what I witnessed was appalling. Young teens and preteen boys flashing their privates, cursing, grotesque language, name calling, bullying, racist derogitive names, asking the person they're chatting with to show them their private parts. Saw an older teen male flashing a dildo and asking if they knew what it was and what it was for, and what the other person could do with it. Saw underage teens drinking alcohol and smoking weed and they were making sure it could be seen. Saw a boy hold up a glock 9 and say he would shoot anybody's punk a**. Heard other young teens mock my son and his friend and making rude comments about their voices (probably an accent to someone from another state or country). I heard and saw all of this within a 20 minute period! I told my son and his friend to delete the app from their phones immediately afterwards, and told his friend if his parents had a problem with what I asked him to do to call me because I would tell them why, and if they have any sense, which I'm sure they do, then they would agree. Here's my take on Monkey: It's a great idea on the makers part, and if it could be censored for young users it wouldn't be too bad. This app until made appropriate for users under 18, shouldn't be used by minors. Yes, in this day and age kids see and hear all types of vulgar things on tv, the internet, and the radio, but as a parent you can intervene on what you feel is alright for your children. Too many perverts and child predators out there these days. If this app was geared for 18 and over it would make a lot more sense. Teens that use this app should be very cautious and not give out any personal information, young girls will see and hear things they shouldn't from males, will even see adult men who lie about their age. Teens may disagree with me especially if they like the app, but they know it's the truth. Parents, if you're concerned about what your child views and hears, please take the above information into consideration, giving you a heads up, you have been warned. It has the potential to be a good app for teens to interact with others their age from across the globe, but not until the developers find a way to weed out the bad apples or install filters for nudity, profanity, or anything that most find crude and offense.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byGeorge L. April 4, 2017

Good but could be risky

This app poses safety concerns because of how kids can so easily speak to strangers but the video bit makes it easy to tell if a person is safe (and who they say they are). While I would rather my daughter not use it, the risks aren't too substantial. I watched her use it and the experience for a teen (friendly intros and playful interaction) vs. an adult (bashed for being old or rightfully being called creepy) seems very different. Most of the people on this app seem to be other teenagers too and it's easy to tell if someone lied about their age so you can end the call. I would actually prefer Monkey over apps like Instagram or Facebook where anyone can see what you post or stalk you. As with any social media app, make sure to talk to your kids about only privacy and safety and not to meet up with strangers or share personal information.

Parent Written byScott B. February 6, 2017

no age verification

One of the top reviews in a google search (by James Grebey at inverse.com) relates how as new user he encountered older men posing a young girls. As soon as Grebey accepted their invitation to chat, he heard just the type of revolting things you'd expect middle-aged perverts to say to kids. So, until there's some way to guarantee the age and gender of the user, it'll be off limits to my kids.

Adult Written byMichelle T. February 12, 2018

Bad idea

I believe this is a bad idea the younger teens are getting ahold of this app along with older teenagers and subjecting them to nude pics and unbelievable conversations

Adult Written byMTChambers July 17, 2018

My daughters were violated!!!

Please do not allow your children to have this app on their electronic devices. It is completely inappropriate for any age kids. My step daughter has this app and exposed my 10 year old daughter to it. A guy sent them a picture of his penis and guys were requesting pictures of their body parts and completely nude pictures. This app is a complete disgrace and I will do everything possible to protect other innocent children from experiencing this. Protect your children from perverts on this app.

Adult Written byMOOHMD A. December 5, 2017

Adult Written byLala32 July 6, 2018

Its okay

Monkey it not a bad app yes it does have some things that kids probably shouldn't see but it's good for teenagers so that they know how to meet online friends because quite frankly there are some decent people on there they're friendly and doesn't show anything bad so I guess it's all about the age you are and if you have your settings on a male or female.

Adult Written byArastafamily August 22, 2018

Apalled

Found my 16 yo daughter on this app video chatting with random strange men. We almost went to blows. It is a dangerous app that is unregulated and can very easily lead to the wrong people becoming involved in your child's life. With all the sexual trafficking happening in our state, this app is definitely in the RED FLAG zone!!!

Adult Written byDavidhayek September 9, 2018

Ddddddddddddd

Ddddddddddďddddddddddddddddd

Adult Written bysomeone with a brain February 19, 2019

People need to calm down

This is a very fun app that helps teens understand how to communicate with others. If you think your child 12 and up isn't cursing or knows about vulgar things, you are soooooo naive and stupid. If the person doesn't like what he is seeing, just hang up. I myself made friends from a completely different state. Stay safe and have fun xox
Adult Written byBabbyble November 27, 2018