A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this app.
Parents and caregivers: Set limits for violence and more with Plus
What parents need to know
Parents need to know that MyLife Meditation (formerly Stop, Breathe & Think) is an app and a website that encourages kids to learn the three skills in its title. Kids will stop and take stock of their thoughts and feelings; they'll breathe through guided meditations; and they'll think with increased kindness and compassion for the world around them. It's a great tool for developing positive habits of mind for kids and adults.
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's it about?
In MYLIFE MEDITATION, kids can experience guided meditation exercises from their mobile devices. Kids can use this app to select a particular meditation (15 are available, all 10 minutes long or less) or to receive a "curated list" of recommended meditations based on a self-report of their current emotional state.
Is it any good?
This app makes meditation approachable and even fun. Kids can earn stickers for consistently using MyLife Meditation, getting rewards for achievements such as multiple days of meditation and journeys through the same meditation. The progress page allows kids to track simple information (such as total meditation time) and more abstract data (such as state of "settledness" over time). MyLife Meditation's developers seek to promote compassion in the world, and this app is one piece of that mission. Its message is overwhelmingly positive and encouraging.
Talk to your kids about ...
Families can talk about which meditations they prefer and which seem to suit different situations.
Parents might help younger kids navigate the section that allows users to select different emotions. This can help kids become increasingly articulate about naming their emotions before they embark on meditations that help them navigate them.
- Devices: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android
- Skills: Emotional Development: developing resilience, handling stress, identifying emotions, moving beyond obstacles, persevering, self-awareness
Health & Fitness: body awareness, meditation, mental health
- Price: Free-$9.99/month; free for teachers
- Pricing structure: Paid, Free (Free version features limited activities. Subscriptions ($9.99 per month or $58.99 per year) unlock 400+ premium activities.)
- Release date: September 24, 2018
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Size: 139.90 MB
- Publisher: Stop Breathe & Think PBC
- Version: 5.1
- Minimum software requirements: iOS 11.1 or later; Android 5.0 and up
- Last updated: August 12, 2020
Our editors recommend
For kids who love learning about friendship and compassion
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.