Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Netflix

Lots of great kids' media but imperfect parent controls.

Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook February 9, 2011

No child safety features. Use Caution.

The Netflix app is really only good for one thing - convenience... if you're sitting in the dr.s office you can let your child watch a bit of a show or something. But the part that makes this app just about unusable is the lack of safety features and parental control. This app absolutely must be used w/ close parental supervision. It gives access to the entire netflix streaming which includes just about anything that you would never, never want your kids to see. Of course it's mixed in with Thomas, Dora, Backyardigans, tween Disney shows, great kids movies, etc. But since you can't restrict their usage it's just about useless. USE WITH CAUTION.

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 12 year old Written bydiaryofamommy January 7, 2012

Great films mixed in with iffy content.

Some great documentaries and family films are on here, but there are also films with swearing and violence, Take caution, set parental controls, and use the Just for Kids category for really young kids.

Educational Value
Adult Written byMamaDub February 27, 2016

This review is very outdated - You CAN set parental controls now

Since this review was posted, Netflix has added more Parental Controls: You can create a User Profile for each child and select the rating-level for that child. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/264 You also can set a maturity level PIN passcode, so if any user wants to view a program with a more mature rating-level, they must know the PIN. https://www.netflix.com/pin I've set mine on the lowest rating.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 24, 2012

Movies,shows,and episodes all the time.

I use Netflix A LOT.My parents and I have rented plently of movies over Netflix.On top of that,the price is really good.I swear,you'll get addicted by using Netflix one time.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 March 17, 2013

good!

nothing to worry about
Adult Written byacodg December 8, 2015
Are u kidding me with the other reviews. I know people who are 3 who watch it
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 4, 2012

Watch any movie or TV show ANYTIME!!!

With Netflix, you are able to watch any movie or TV show whenever you want! Of course, there are R rated and Mature rated movies and shows, so parents, you may want to check Netflix before your kids do! But if you find something that is family-friendly, that would be a great idea for planning to watch it over the weekend with some good popcorn! Another thing that's great about Netflix is that it only costs $8 a month! THAT'S A GREAT DEAL!!!

Adult Written byMi3 February 9, 2011

Educational Value
Parent Written byDead D. May 20, 2018

Subtitle Movies

They must be looking at sales figures because I am one of many people who are more and more dissatisfied with the content NetFlix is acquiring. They seem to be succeeding in acquiring content from all over the world and in diverse languages so that their list of "recently released" has in the last year been dominated by Hindi and Korean language/originating programming. If everyone judges their success by the number of subscribers to their streaming service, I can see why they are in a boom period. But... I am finding it harder and harder to find anything to watch. I'm sure they can only put on their streaming service what makers offer to sell to them. It's my opinion these are not 2nd tier offerings these days but 3rd and 4th tier -- my definition of poorer and pooer content. You get a lot of choices for very little money per month I realize. NetFlix streaming service is increasingly not worth my time [to watch]. Anyone agree that the quality of their content is going downhill?
Adult Written byOscar M. January 31, 2017

17 and up!?

If you're really that worried about inappropriate content, then just look at the age rating. There are so many ways to avoid it instead of just not using this great application.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byBinge W. August 7, 2018

Good, even though there is a Netflix kids, Netflix kids might have an appropriate stuff.

Content may vary on the TV show or movie.

Ease of Play
Written byAnonymous November 24, 2018

The butt review

Netflix is really good. There are a lot of shows and documentaries and movies on Netflix. On Netflix up to 5 people can have an account on one big account. Kids can have an account and you can choose it to be safe because there is a button that says for kids and if you click it, there account only shows things appropriate for kids 12 and under. You can also see what your kids watching on Netflix because there are a lot of bad things on Netflix that are for much older audiences. Netflix is very good but you can find some movies with sex and drinking and gore and a lot of cussing but at least you can stop your kids from viewing it. There is no safety or privacy concerns and it is very easy to use.

Ease of Play