Parent reviews for Prodigy Math Game

Fantasy game helps kids become math wizards.

Adult Written byM M October 18, 2017

I hate this company, and I'm irritated by the schools that promote it

Teachers are promoting it. Kids can play for free - great. But the advertising for membership -- directed at KIDS -- starts right away. So the pressure to check out the membership rises. What's the cost? $5 a month if you commit to a year. $9 a month if you want to test drive it. So, do I shell out the $60 now, see how it goes -- take a chance I either create a monster who won't get off the computer OR loses interest after a few weeks (been there/done that)? Or do I pay $9 now for the test drive ...with the onus on me to cancel payment at the end of the first month if I choose to suspend. My 11-year old is complaining at my irritation - "Dad it's just business!" He's right - it IS business. But the thing that annoys me the most is the marketing at kids, plus the endorsement of the teachers.
Adult Written bykid 21 March 13, 2019

prodigy is pressuring us to buy stuff

prodigy is pressuring us to buy membership all the time and it
is so annoying to have that happen to you every time you play the game.

Adult Written byPeriwinkle1 February 9, 2019

Prodigy Math

I think this software program is just awful for so many reasons. I'm a teacher and a Psychological consultant for the public school system. This program was recommended by my daughter's grade 2 teacher. Manyu of the math concepts are excessively beyond the grade 2 curriculum and there is absolutely no type of "teaching" going on. My daughter has no prior knowledge teaching of most of the concepts which makes the questions only frustrating and a review of my properly one on one taught math instruction. The music is too loud, rushed in nature and too "dark" for young children, Very quickly into the program, kids (parents) are asked to purchased memberships which are very EXPENSIVE and totally inappropriate for a public school system to be recommending to parents. Playing to kids to put money out for their education is rather guilt laden for parents. The concept of killing monsters is also not appropriate in the context of teaching young minds anything, including math. The developers of this software have done a good song and dance to convince local Boards of education to purchase the software. This is completely unethical considering the population it is aimed at. Shame on you. This is not what education is about, or HOW it should be delivered. I'm especially annoyed by teachers who think this is an alternative to actually spending one on one time with their students individualizing what they actually teach to their students. They are getting to do their job and it's not okay to plunk a kid down on a computer program instead of direct teaching which takes considerable thought and effort. I'm saying this as a very informed individual who has taught young children, counselled across all grade levels, as well as assessed children with learning issues for over 20 years. This is not an appropriate program for young children and I will be communicating it clearly to my daughter's school and Board of Education.

Adult Written byLeemr April 26, 2019
Membership sucks before you could evolve pets now everything is membership. The things that are not membership is horrible. For instance there is this wand. I found out that it's only +5 damage bonus. Before you could also evolve pets. Now you can not evolve pets at all. Prodigy just wants money.

Adult Written byH S. February 9, 2018

Busy work: weak game and lousy math interface.

After watching my child use this game for 6 months, I think it's a waste of time. The user interface, whether you use a mouse or keyboard, is clumsy and causes frustration which blocks problem solving capacity.
The game play is mildly violent, but the main problem is it is uniteresting. There are better role playing and problem solving games. As a physicist, I would suggest teachers give students problems to develop math skills for 20 minutes in class and reward by letting them play Zelda, or go run around outside!
This game is a waste of time, and, yes, the ad push is annoying.
Adult Written byJ.Drake April 8, 2019

it sucks

the battles dont work and beg you for membership

Adult Written byConnerss November 5, 2018

A Review of Prodigy: Bad. Dangerously bad.

Since “MobyMax” became an enormous hit and a beloved modern teaching device by giving players an inspired look at skills they missed throughout the years, people have been striving to repeat that seemingly simple formula with a number of games that have offered this. Now comes “Prodigy,” a game that dares to ask “What if we combined MobyMax with simple graphics and a mostly game-driven area?,” a notion that I do not think that anyone has ever pondered for any amount of time outside of those stuck in a focus group. That is only the first of many problems with this game, a work so completely devoid of wit, style, intelligence or basic entertainment value that it makes the Angry Birds app seem like a pure artistic statement by comparison.

The extremely dubious conceit of "Prodigy" is that hidden within the coding is basic consumerism marketed to kids. Our plot is that apparently an evil wizard is trying to take over the world and with a couple of calculators near by, you can save it! That’s it.

So what wonders lie just beneath our touch screens, anyway? Based on the evidence put forth by “Prodigy,” it is a combination of corporate synergy. I found myself speculating on how many kids got lured by the basic paywalls in this game. 1 million?

The failure of imagination in “Prodigy” is not limited to its depiction of the app world. This is a game that has literally nothing to offer viewers—there are no moments of humor, excitement or insight regarding a culture that considers math to be all important and mighty. The characters go through their lines with such a lack of enthusiasm that they make Krusty the Klown seem focused and committed by comparison.

“Prodigy” is a demonstration of artistic abdication at its most venal, but will the kids like it? To that question, I offer this observation. This past weekend, I played the game with my 11-year old son. To be fair, it is a bit cheating, as he’s aware of the basic consumerism, but it’s all you got. He said that the game “deleted his items” and “locked it behind a paywall”. Even Electronic Arts doesn’t dare step into deletion territory, and when they do, they would never make you pay for it.

Adult Written byclapppp12345 February 21, 2019

member sign up

i think its trash because everything you do in this game you need a memebership, how am i supposed to do anything in this game

Adult Written byMumma123 February 4, 2019

Awful, I don't recommend

The game seemed innocent at first, mixing a childish story with math, what could go wrong? Well, the game is REALLY repetitive. Within minutes, my child started complaining that the game was so boring, he would rather just do the math work by itself. So, i decided to try the game out myself. The game's plot is so loosely written, even my child was noticing game breaking plot holes. The "battle system" is so slow, I wanted to play the game at x3 speed just to finish my turn. The quest structure is also really poorly done. It has your child going through the same set of areas over and over. It makes what would be a 10 min. game become a 10 hrs + game. If you were exploring various different areas at this slow pace, it would be more acceptable, but no, its THE SAME set of areas over. And over. And over again. Your child would benefit more from just doing the work, and getting to play an actual game after, just not this monstrosity.

Adult Written bythisgamesucks January 16, 2019

Why this game is dissapointing

It's one of those dumb math games where they try to encourage you to buy membership. Plus, the math questions are the same repeating many times. My child did not learn anything because of the theme.

Adult Written bytaehyngu February 21, 2019

A glitched happened and I think its unfair.

so i was playing prodigy for awhile to get this doll thing, and it took about 3 hours to achieve, and so when i finally had enough "it was like the adventure paper thing" i bought it and then it glitched, and i didnt get the doll nor my papers back and i think its kinda unfair meaning i would have restart all over. otherwise, its all good. im just triggered. If it happens again, im going to have to give it 2 stars.

Adult Written byRealGamer December 18, 2018

PAY-TO-WIN

This game... the members is what you need for 60% of the game. I know video game genres, and this is a PAY-TO-WIN MATH-BASED MMORPG (NOT POKEMON-STYLE). Most of the leaders have members/toys. I don't want to have to pay to get a lot of items. a lot of kids will agree with this. btw a pay-to-win game is only cool to rich people.

Adult Written byGillesP February 7, 2019

My son loved it with the membership.

My son loved it with the membership. Phone number provided doesn't work. " due to technical difficulties" login Works to play the game however the exact same login doesn't work to access membership settings. I found this to be very convenient when trying to cancel my membership. Took forever to figure it out as a resources provided don't show the same pages, and again the login didn't work even after double-checking the credentials. Would recommend free version, advise against agreeing to a reoccurring membership.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byashlinero March 12, 2019

At first I enjoyed my kids wanting to play an educational game...

...but the amount of advertising is ridiculous! The kids are good at ignoring it or bypassing it, but sometimes they end up in different tabs and are encouraged to put toys in their shopping cart. Even the school version encourages the kids to ask their parents to upgrade or by things. Memberships start at $5 a month--almost worth it to see no more ads, but then---you are still encouraged to buy even more stuff!

The game itself doesn't actually teach concepts, so it is only really reliable as a review of skills.

The game also invites kids to "friend" others on the game, and then they are able to share their achievements and their friends can "like" the updates. The social interaction is very limited, so depending on your stance, perhaps it is a good introduction to social media briquette.

Adult Written bypgranche March 6, 2019

Sneaky Marketing

Pleased to see I'm not the only one frustrated with this company's marketing strategy. After signing up (which is super easy for kids), the company offers all the bells/whistles of engagement for a short time. After this time is up, new bells/whistles stop and the continual advertisements to "ask mom and dad to buy. As a teacher, I end up with "have" and "have not" students (some families buy, some do not) playing against one another - and wow, do the "have not" kids feel badly. The program claims to self-adjust content based on student performance, but I constantly see students frustrated by too-challenging content, and very rarely is there a parent or teacher overseeing their progress. Great program - kids love it - but the company need to lower the cost/student to schools and become a true educational partner.

Adult Written bycel9750 October 18, 2018
Adult Written byBolivas January 6, 2019

Just wants money

It used to be good. Now it has all these stupid updates. You can't do ANYTHING unless you are a member. Evolving, and a bunch of other things are for members only. They changed fighting, the story, exploring, looks, and even the holiday currency that I saved (which is now useless)!
Don't get good at it. They will probably change what you are good at too.

Adult Written byclassmaster84 December 6, 2018

Too Much Marketing, Not Enough Teacher Support

Kids are highly motivated to play, but the nonstop marketing is too much, constantly encouraging them to upgrade to reach higher levels and unlock features that should be in game already. Premium should be limited to clothing options and MAYBE leveling up faster, not simple gameplay mechanics like number of pets or the ability for pets to evolve. Students should think if they work hard they can get any and everything that the kids that could buy can get. I understand it needs to make money, but ads would be preferable to what is currently available.

Adult Written bySingledad500 October 16, 2018

Evolution

Well before the update my kids loved to play prodigy, and watch there pets evolve but after the update you now have to a member to evolve so now my kids don’t play it anymore so thanks a lot you now made a single dad with 2 girls who are in 4 th grade fail in math change it to where you don’t have to be a member to evolve there pets please

Adult Written byfeedpump October 5, 2018

Stay away from this company

They will bill you for membership extension without prior notice even though you didn't agree with it. An cancelling membership process is not easy. Very fishy.