Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Adult Written byTM 2 January 27, 2018

Bad News

The problem with Snapchat is not the cute fun filters or snaps you get from friends that’s great, it’s the TACKY daily news your forced to see with pictures of that nasty Kim or Kylee or other trash half naked with disgusting headlines . I don’t want my child reading or seeing trash like that, really Snapchat this is how you portray women ,as empty headed idiots that lay around naked letting men disrespect them ? Disgusting!

Adult Written byRoanies January 16, 2020

Snapchat

Lots of parents say snapchat is bad. I strongly disagree with this false negative statement. This app I think can grow your child's confidence. They can really grow into their own skin and become the lovely child that you always wanted them to be.

Parent of a 8 and 13-year-old Written bymandy j. November 30, 2017

SNAPCHAT IS NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!!!!

i let my daughter download snachat, it was not a good idea. she recived some photos that were not approriate. she was only supposed to use it for her soccer team. im very dissapointed in her but the app is innsporopiate ad wee.

Adult Written byLuke T. March 21, 2017

Risky

There are two issues with this app. One, you can't control what people post or send, though typically that hasn't been a problem for me. The issue for me was that the sponsored stories from cosmopolitan and other places that they display often have very inappropriate images and titles. Lots of things about sex and occasionally they'll post a semi-censored image that a celebrity has posted. They'll cover the "private parts" but it's still pretty revelaing in my opinion.

Parent Written byaedfaedfr January 20, 2015

Good

Its is a great app I do not see why other people are saying that it is 'very inappropriate' when it is not. Your child has to be old enough, and all of my children use it appropriately.

Adult Written byRickLee January 12, 2019

PLEASE READ! it’s not as bad as it is told to be

Honestly when my son and daughter first started asking for Snapchat I told them absolutely not because of the fact that messages disappear and is the worst app supposedly for cyber bullying. After making my own and playing around with the app for awhile I noticed how very similar it really is to every other social media. My two kids (12 & 14) both have Instagram and started to become interested in this app when many of their peers at school downloaded this “terrible” app. Now, I’m an administrator and I’ve had to deal with a few Snapchat incidents over my past couple years, but after trying it out I found it to be no different than Instagram except that Snapchat pictures and videos disappear. I check my kids phones so when I found out about this my decision was no, but after some thoughtful reconsideration I decided to let my kids have a chance to prove their trust because I’ve never had a problem with either in the past. After they got it I didn’t notice much of a difference with them, they weren’t getting in trouble for using it too much, saying hateful things, and they started to even feel more confident because they could relate more to their friends and had something to talk about if all else failed. In conclusion, I think Snapchat is an app that should be rewarded if your child is responsible and mature because only a small percent of children really make mistakes that can put their future ahead in danger

Adult Written byehoytlowrey December 15, 2014

Safety Concern

Please monitor your child's account on SnapChat. Anyone can add them as a friend and send them photos or messages. Some children don't think about deleting or blocking because they don't want to be mean, and in today's age children think it's important to have as many "friends" as possible. Discuss your concerns with your child and let them know that it's more important to be safe than to be nice sometimes.

Adult Written byVolleyballer . April 1, 2018

Its Really Not That Bad

Dear parents considering Snapchat,
Here are some common myths about Snapchat:
The discover content is dirty:
First of all, I have had snapchat for a while and rarely seen racy images or "stories", most of it is just people sharing their daily lives with the world.
Random strangers can view my childs snaps or stories:
To prevent this, simply turn on privacy settings and dont accept friend requests from people you dont know.
Snapchat is only used for sexting:
This is probably the most misconcieved thing about Snapchat. While some teenagers may use it for that purpose, just think about your child in particular. Are they trustworthy, honest, and respectful of themselves and others? If the answer is yes then you are good to go!
All in all, Snapchat is a great way for kids (and adults) to communicate using fun filters, text, and images, and has minor concerns that should pretty much be overlooked if you have a responisble child.

Parent Written byjames o. August 29, 2017

App safe for kids

I think 3 year old kids and above should use this app. Its a great way to keep them entertained while you work.
Adult Written byDeekshitha M April 17, 2017
Parent of a 10, 13, and 15-year-old Written byJOEKSU93 September 7, 2016

Bad news articles-needs parental controls

This app has become littered with news articles such as how to have a orgasm to 19 things to know before you lose your virginity. With no parental controls this app will be uninstalled on all devices in our home.

Adult Written byTammy12 December 21, 2015

Not good for any child of any age unless they are responsible

This is just another way of kids to bully others. Kids will push their limits with this and abuse others because they think the pictures and videos will be deleted and never recovered. This is just an irresponsible business not encouraging appropriate behaviour. No wonder our world is such a messed up place and kids are bullied everyday. This is nothing but a tool to encourage bullying.

Adult Written bythegauntletrunner45 August 26, 2015
Parent of a 11 and 14-year-old Written bycathy59 February 13, 2015

It's good for children you trust.

Fun!
Parent Written bysadfadefa January 20, 2015

It Is Not Inappropriate !!

This App Is Not Inappropriate! This app needs to be used well, but other from that, there is no problem.
Parent of a 12 and 18+-year-old Written bysnapchat14 October 23, 2014

Great App!

As a mother of two children who both have snapchat, I will say that all parents should let their child have one if they want one! As I was very VERY weary of snapchat at first, I learned that it is NOT a bad website!

Adult Written bySnapchat February 23, 2020

The app is great for kids and family

Our kids are fine just check your accounts once in à wile

Adult Written byAmber M. February 17, 2020

Don’t be an overprotective parent

I don’t get what all the fuss over SnapChat. I let my daughter age 11 have Snapchat a few days ago. She’s been begging for Snapchat for awhile because, “all the kids at school have it.” I believe parents think SnapChat is worse than is actually is. I used SnapChat for awhile because I wanted to see what was so inappropriate about, I was never shown inappropriate photos or videos and no strangers messaged me. Parents should stop being so overprotective because they think there kids will be doing bad stuff on social media.

Adult Written bybazboy February 17, 2020
Adult Written byJamiedrew February 13, 2020

The Best don’t listen to the other clickbait

This is truly the best app ever. My 12 year old son got it and loves it he can stay in contact with a ton of people from school and meet up with them in public and hang out. He is wise and smart enough to not post inappropriate things. It is much easier to add people at his school on Snapchat then have to ask for a phone number. So in conclusion as long as you know your son is smart and will use the app in Benifucial ways such as meeting up with people etc. it is a good app that you should get your son.