Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Parent of a 7, 9, and 12-year-old Written byDeniseArts March 16, 2018

Not worth the stress.

Yes, a few of my kid's friends have this app- yes, it's the kids with 'hipster parents' who are never really home and are probably using it themselves.

But do some serious studying up on this, because it's just not safe. PHOTOS DO NOT DISAPPEAR. They can be saved as 'screenshots'- so if there's even an experiment in 'sexting', that's all she wrote. ANYTHING INAPPROPRIATE will be seen by everyone at some point. And guess what? If your 15 boy is sent a sexually suggestive photo from a 15 year old girl, and the girls parents freak out- your boy has to register as a sex offender.

Terms of use say 13, but all under 18's need parental approval. Read it carefully.

When you send a Snap to someone via "Snapchat" you give Snapchat a "nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such user content in connection with the services, subject to your use of privacy settings in the services to control who can see your user content."

Read what VERIZON says about it here, and know that when a major company like Verizon says 'beware', they aren't messing around.

Not worth it.

Adult Written byTM 2 January 27, 2018

Bad News

The problem with Snapchat is not the cute fun filters or snaps you get from friends that’s great, it’s the TACKY daily news your forced to see with pictures of that nasty Kim or Kylee or other trash half naked with disgusting headlines . I don’t want my child reading or seeing trash like that, really Snapchat this is how you portray women ,as empty headed idiots that lay around naked letting men disrespect them ? Disgusting!

Adult Written byRoanies January 16, 2020

Snapchat

Lots of parents say snapchat is bad. I strongly disagree with this false negative statement. This app I think can grow your child's confidence. They can really grow into their own skin and become the lovely child that you always wanted them to be.

Parent of a 8 and 13-year-old Written bymandy j. November 30, 2017

SNAPCHAT IS NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!!!!

i let my daughter download snachat, it was not a good idea. she recived some photos that were not approriate. she was only supposed to use it for her soccer team. im very dissapointed in her but the app is innsporopiate ad wee.

Adult Written byLuke T. March 21, 2017

Risky

There are two issues with this app. One, you can't control what people post or send, though typically that hasn't been a problem for me. The issue for me was that the sponsored stories from cosmopolitan and other places that they display often have very inappropriate images and titles. Lots of things about sex and occasionally they'll post a semi-censored image that a celebrity has posted. They'll cover the "private parts" but it's still pretty revelaing in my opinion.

Parent Written byaedfaedfr January 20, 2015

Good

Its is a great app I do not see why other people are saying that it is 'very inappropriate' when it is not. Your child has to be old enough, and all of my children use it appropriately.

Adult Written byRickLee January 12, 2019

PLEASE READ! it’s not as bad as it is told to be

Honestly when my son and daughter first started asking for Snapchat I told them absolutely not because of the fact that messages disappear and is the worst app supposedly for cyber bullying. After making my own and playing around with the app for awhile I noticed how very similar it really is to every other social media. My two kids (12 & 14) both have Instagram and started to become interested in this app when many of their peers at school downloaded this “terrible” app. Now, I’m an administrator and I’ve had to deal with a few Snapchat incidents over my past couple years, but after trying it out I found it to be no different than Instagram except that Snapchat pictures and videos disappear. I check my kids phones so when I found out about this my decision was no, but after some thoughtful reconsideration I decided to let my kids have a chance to prove their trust because I’ve never had a problem with either in the past. After they got it I didn’t notice much of a difference with them, they weren’t getting in trouble for using it too much, saying hateful things, and they started to even feel more confident because they could relate more to their friends and had something to talk about if all else failed. In conclusion, I think Snapchat is an app that should be rewarded if your child is responsible and mature because only a small percent of children really make mistakes that can put their future ahead in danger

Adult Written byehoytlowrey December 15, 2014

Safety Concern

Please monitor your child's account on SnapChat. Anyone can add them as a friend and send them photos or messages. Some children don't think about deleting or blocking because they don't want to be mean, and in today's age children think it's important to have as many "friends" as possible. Discuss your concerns with your child and let them know that it's more important to be safe than to be nice sometimes.

Adult Written byVolleyballer . April 1, 2018

Its Really Not That Bad

Dear parents considering Snapchat,
Here are some common myths about Snapchat:
The discover content is dirty:
First of all, I have had snapchat for a while and rarely seen racy images or "stories", most of it is just people sharing their daily lives with the world.
Random strangers can view my childs snaps or stories:
To prevent this, simply turn on privacy settings and dont accept friend requests from people you dont know.
Snapchat is only used for sexting:
This is probably the most misconcieved thing about Snapchat. While some teenagers may use it for that purpose, just think about your child in particular. Are they trustworthy, honest, and respectful of themselves and others? If the answer is yes then you are good to go!
All in all, Snapchat is a great way for kids (and adults) to communicate using fun filters, text, and images, and has minor concerns that should pretty much be overlooked if you have a responisble child.

Parent Written byjames o. August 29, 2017

App safe for kids

I think 3 year old kids and above should use this app. Its a great way to keep them entertained while you work.
Adult Written byDeekshitha M April 17, 2017
Parent of a 10, 13, and 15-year-old Written byJOEKSU93 September 7, 2016

Bad news articles-needs parental controls

This app has become littered with news articles such as how to have a orgasm to 19 things to know before you lose your virginity. With no parental controls this app will be uninstalled on all devices in our home.

Adult Written byTammy12 December 21, 2015

Not good for any child of any age unless they are responsible

This is just another way of kids to bully others. Kids will push their limits with this and abuse others because they think the pictures and videos will be deleted and never recovered. This is just an irresponsible business not encouraging appropriate behaviour. No wonder our world is such a messed up place and kids are bullied everyday. This is nothing but a tool to encourage bullying.

Adult Written bythegauntletrunner45 August 26, 2015
Parent of a 11 and 14-year-old Written bycathy59 February 13, 2015

It's good for children you trust.

Fun!
Parent Written bysadfadefa January 20, 2015

It Is Not Inappropriate !!

This App Is Not Inappropriate! This app needs to be used well, but other from that, there is no problem.
Parent of a 12 and 18+-year-old Written bysnapchat14 October 23, 2014

Great App!

As a mother of two children who both have snapchat, I will say that all parents should let their child have one if they want one! As I was very VERY weary of snapchat at first, I learned that it is NOT a bad website!

Adult Written bydaddypigdaddy January 16, 2020

booty

we dont like kids eating booty

Adult Written byKaren 2.0 January 8, 2020

Give your kid a little freedom

My kid is in high school and I didn’t let him get it even after all the begging. But then it was too late, this app really isn’t bad it helped him make friends and be more social and open about his friend life with me. He finally explained to me that all of everyone he knew had it and he only really wanted it to not be the odd one out. My son tried out for the basket ball team and all of his friends made it but him and he wanted to keep in touch with them because he didn’t have any classes with them, he grew apart from so many good people and he barley knew his friends at the end of the year party because I didn’t let him have it. Snapchat is so much more than a photo app, it brings friends closer together in ways I didn’t know. My family moved and he wanted to stay in touch with friends but he lost so many of them because I was to blind to see that it’s not harmful. Most parents worry about stuff you can use settings to Chang for example :
1 . Disappearing chats - there’s a setting to keep them
2. Snap maps- turn on ghost mode than hit forever
3 random people contacting you- turn your account to private than you have to request to friend people and strangers can’t see your posts
If you trust your child you’ll let them have it but check their phone every once in a while. Than the only thing that may be concerning is the discovery page which is all adds but the worst add I’ve seen was for a game called episode. In fact it might be a little safer than the regular texting because you can’t contact anyone you want to. Please don’t make the mistake I did. Also the 18+ stuff that is only because they had to think of worse case scenario and I mean really I know my kid more than other parents do and he’s a good kid .I really hope this was helpful (sorry it was so long)

Adult Written byCaseb January 5, 2020

Bad

Snapchat will block your accounts over and over