Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byJenn P. September 17, 2016

Good for responsible teens

My daughter asked for snap chat about a month ago and so we sat down and went over all of the things I didn't like about it. She called up one of her friends who had a snap chat already, her friend put my mind at ease about almost everything except one thing. I did not like the fact that it was an easy way for someone to bully my daughter, and so we came up with a plan. Seeing as bullying must happen multiple times in order to be considered bullying, she promised to always come to me and show me all of the snaps from anybody who was being mean and let me take over from there.

Adult Written byGill B. August 29, 2016

Love it

It really helped my daughter feel connected to her friends over the summer
Adult Written byangeladela July 13, 2016

Fun app

Many other parents think that snapchat is an app for sexting and sending lude photos of yourself to other people, (which is true in some cases) but I disagree. My son and daughter (8 & 14) both love the app. My son (8) uses the app on my phone because he doesn't have a phone of his own. He likes to play with the filters that turn your face into something funny like a dragon or a dog or, his personal favorite, a piece of toast. My 14 year old daughter likes to snapchat her friends pictures of her face, or update her story with whatever she is doing. I spy on her often, without her knowledge, and all of her snapchats are innocent and funny. I would say 90% of the pictures she sends are her making ugly faces. She tells me it is because "It's better to look ugly on purpose." I don't fully understand why she loves the app, but it seems like a harmless social media platform, as long as you use it well. Many other parents on this site are over reacting about the dangers of this app. It's true that snapchats disappear after you send them, but my daughter knows that anyone can screenshot what you send, so sexting isn't a good idea. If you trust your child, let them snap.

Parent Written byantalinar May 15, 2016

Adult Written byEmilymurphy17 April 19, 2016

Snapchat Update Ruined the App

The recent update for Snapchat, literally ruined the app for me. You're able to watch other people's "stories" (a series of media messages that DOES use data in order to view) and you used to be able to click and choose which persons stories you'd like to view. But now, the update made it so that when you click on one persons story, it plays through ALL of the snaps unless you exit the app, halting the process. This drive me nuts for multiple reasons. 1. Some people pay for their data and may only want to play specific media messages and are limited to how many they can watch without paying extra on their next phone bill. Instead of being able to view certain stories now you have to watch EVERYONES if you don't close the app, which is ridiculous. 2. It drains your battery life like crazy. So frustrating. 3. Sometimes I don't want to view a persons snaps, but I still want them on my friends list. I'll be honest, I was mad at my boyfriend one day and didn't want him to see that I viewed his snaps. Well, thanks to snapchats crappy new update-I watched all of them! Great... 4. I can't tell whose story is whose?! They have the name in the upper right corner but by the time the snap has played, I'm just now realizing who it was. Snapchat-if you want your happy snappers back, lose the update. It really is the worst thing that happened to snapchat, which is disappointing because I used to love this app.
Adult Written bybrinalo48 March 10, 2016

Like I freakin love SnapChat like WTF is going on??

Like literally who should I be mad at SnapChat or Windows?? I bought a new phone.. Not knowing it mattered what brand.. Quickly rushed to the app store, just to find out my freakin awesome app do not even support my phone. Please allow Windows phones, at least the 8, to download your APP.. Please.

Adult Written byrodgersfamily March 7, 2016

Great App! Ok for children!

As a mother of a 13 and 15 year old, I have looked at the app and I think it's great and so do my kids. My children first got this app when they were both around 12, and I agree with this! The app is perfect for tons of kids! Easy to block people and unadd them if necessary, also fun to communicate with friends! Filters are so cool and fun!

Adult Written bykellyhartung22 February 19, 2016

It's fine for children 12 and up!

I think snapchat is great. I have a 7 year old, a 14 year old, and a 16 year old. I have took a close look at the app and my 14 and 16 year old girls have it. It is very easy to use wisely, so if used wisely it is perfect. Yes, there may be some people who take explicit pictures, but the majority is fine.

Parents- THIS APP IS OK TO USE FOR CHILDREN 12 AND OVER!! VERY FEW USE IT INNAPROPRIATLY

Adult Written byparent1101 November 24, 2015
I am a parent I have 3 Children an 8 year old an 13 year old and a 16 year old. I do not let my 8 or 13 year old have any social media they do not have an iPhone. My 16 year old has an iPhone 4. She uses Instagram and snapchat. Weare very strict with her and we look at what her friends send her. She mustbe private. I have the password to all accounts. She cannot add people she does not know. We read every single bit of info. She cannot put any info about her. We make sure who she's following is only people she has met and she is friends with in person. Before she can accept anyone she has to ask us to approve the person even if it is from school. My 8 year old cannot talk to her friends online anyway shape or form no iPads because she can talk to them at school. My 13 year old cannot talk to any body from school through the internet or the computer iPod iPad iPhone ect.. I would say 16+ I did not let my 16 year old get snapchat till 16.

Adult Written bybebeebabiiex3 November 16, 2015

It's dumb.

The app is used as a source of entertainment. It's fine when sending funny pictures to friends- actual funny pictures, or sending pictures of something interesting that you'd like to share. However, as kids get older, SOMETIMES-NOT ALL THE TIME-BUT, SOMETIMES- it is a easier way for teens to engage in, 'sexting'. As i've noticed, a young teenage girl 'really' likes this guy and really wants him to like her. He convinces her to send him naked pictures, claiming he can only see it for a few seconds, and that she would be able to tell if he took a screenshot (which is true- the app will tell you when somebody takes a screenshot of your picture). However, unfortunately, there are other apps that were created that go against notifying someone when their picture was screen shotted. Anybody can be taking screenshots of your pictures thanks to these apps, and the person posting them would never find out. Goes against the entire purpose of the app. Even if high school kids were at a party and posted snaps of them drinking- somebody that wasn't invited could get angry, screenshot the pics, and send them in. Be careful!

Adult Written byQuinnnnnnnnndfjfirn August 15, 2015

Snapchat

I think snapchat is great! I have 2 kids (13, 15) it's super fun for them and the app is free

Adult Written byjadoz January 21, 2015

its so slow uploading stories and sending snaps

Parent Written byjane12345 January 20, 2015

Great.

Its is a good social site, my two children enjoy it.
I think there is no problem having the app, though you and your kids should make a rule, that no one will ever send any inappropriate pictures. If you do that, then the app is quite good.