Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Adult Written byKay G. February 23, 2018

Geoframe never worked, zero customer service

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! I purchased a $5 geofence frame for a party and they sent me emails that it was going to be working, and then another one the day of the party that it was in force. Noone could get it to work. There were 40 of us in costumes having a great time, and Not one of us could get it to come up with the Shapchat app.. I tried 4 different avenues to contact them to get my money back and NO ONE HAS RESPONDED. The phone customer service is an announcement to go to their useless website and read the FAQ page and then they hang up on you. RIP OFF!
Adult Written byGrace J. February 22, 2018

Inappropriate

I have had bad experiences, I know only post stuff on my private story, because a person sent me a dick pic. At 11. And he is always the first one to see my public story. I will never unsee that. Plus, I'm a lesbian.

Adult Written byCynthia R. February 20, 2018

New update

Stick to Instagram stories.

Adult Written byJulie V. February 17, 2018

Update has destroyed Snapchat

I enjoyed getting pictures/videos of my children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. The update puts all sorts of reality people that I’m NOT interested in, upfront where I have to see their trash. That’s not what I want to see and will now uninstall the app. My children have quit using the app since the update as well. Why would the administrators think that we want to see the same crap as what’s on tv on here?? You destroyed your app.

Adult Written byDean D. February 16, 2018

Garbo

New update killed his all
Adult Written byJulian W. February 15, 2018

Adult Written byBiglongJohn123 February 12, 2018

Freaking Horrible

The update sucks man.I just wanna text my friends and do sexual stuff but no whenever I open a snapchat it automatically goes to the bottom and I lose it!! and I cant even find anyones snapchat stories anymore! How do u expect me to pull the honeys if i cant find them?! snapchat yall some fool's man bring back that old update #SMH #BiglongJohn #ForPresident p.s the category is going under "too much sex" I think personally its to less of sex WHERE ARE THE STRIPPERS?!!!!

Adult Written byAriella G. February 12, 2018

The new update suckkkkssss

Adult Written byBriona A. February 9, 2018

Snapchat update is horrible !

Honestly Snapchat was really good before this stupid update. Everybody hates this update why don’t Snapchat put it back to the old way. It was easier to operate and it was a lot less stressful. Everything was well organized and now it’s just horrible and all over the place. If you really wanted to update Snapchat you could of done minor updates not change the whole entire thing. Nobody is going to use your app anymore because they don’t like it. Now you guys are going to be losing money honestly. So maybe you guys should actually think about what the customers want from your application and not what you guys think is best. I really hope and pray that you guys fix this update and put it back to the old way because this is horrible ridiculous and unacceptable. HOPE THIS REVIEW GOES SOMEWHERE FAR
Adult Written byrachael m. February 9, 2018

the new snapchat update is absolutely horrible.

Adult Written byKaylen W. February 8, 2018

I don’t like the new update

Umm why would y’all make the update like this it’s sucks!!! And it annoying I keep on sliding over forgetting that it’s the new update and it keeps making me type on people chat when I don’t mean too
Parent Written byKaren K. February 6, 2018

Super Safe! NO WORRIES!

As long as your kids are responsible and you trust them it is a super safe and fun social media for them. Just make sure you trust your child and it's perfectly safe for them.
Adult Written byKaitlyn B. February 5, 2018

Good

I think Snapchat is a great way for teens, kids and adults to socialize. A lot of parents are very worried about there children, but in Snapchat there is nothing to worry about. Your kids are having fun and being safe at all times. My child has Snapchat and I have a few things that she can't do on it like follow people she doesn't know and she is not allowed to swip to her right and look at the news. She can not do streaks twice a day and if there is some bad content she can not look at it, lastly she has to send me everything that she sends to her friends. My daughter is 10 years old and she does all these things perfectly fine . Please read this and I hope it leads you to your decision of saying YES! I would like to end of with you should watch the video that is linked to this because it shows some safety you may want to know!

Adult Written bybrodiem February 1, 2018

Adult Written byletyr February 1, 2018

App for Adolescents Review

Rating from one to five, one being the lowest score and five being the highest score, I would rate Snapchat a three based on my experience with using the app and on the review criteria discussed above. I believe that it was worth the time reviewing the app, because many adolescents engage in Snapchat and they should be aware of the potential risks that may arise from sharing their personal information. As many may know, adolescents seek a sense of belongingness, in which “reduces feelings of disengagement and alienation.” As the popular social trend is to create an account and use Snapchat as a form of messaging one another to engage in the social norm, adolescents and others may be unaware of the privacy policy Snapchat provides to users. For example, users’ avatars or “Bitmojis” placed on a map to show where the user physically is. Although some users may be aware of the privacy setting and option to opt out of it, many adolescents elect to share their location with their peers without knowing the potential safety risk it holds. While many adults teach their adolescent children to not add people on social media they do not know, many adolescents do anyways to increase their score and friend count on the app. As a result, parents of adolescent children should be aware of the privacy setting on Snapchat and monitor their adolescent’s usage. Parents should also monitor their friend list and be aware of users their adolescent may not know and delete them.

Parent Written byMarc G. January 16, 2018

Every body should have it

Great very good app wich my Neisse haze and it is a safe app

Adult Written byaustin e. December 1, 2017

gay

stupid thicc

Adult Written byBecky g. November 20, 2017

good

i think it is a good app only if you use it wisley it can contain nudes drugs etc. but as long as you check ot ypu and trust ypur kids they should be able to use it

Adult Written bySabrina A. November 20, 2017

Hard question.

Snapchat is being used for many different things. My suggestion (and what I did) is to allow your child to get it (at an age you feel comfortable, but also think about it from their perspective), but maybe have a few conditions. Maybe you create your own account and follow them, or whatever you like. I really want to stress the point about thinking about it from your child's perspective. Ask them why do they want to get it, and so on. I use this for every social media. If you are really not comfortable with your child not getting it, then try Kudos :). It is a kid-safe social media. It is designed for kids. Really think about this decision. It will change their life for the worse or better. Try using this website to help. https://thecybersafetylady.com.au/2016/03/musical-ly-not-for-kids/
I used it when my 12-year-old girl wanted musically. I ended up giving it to her. I stress the importance of taking time to think this over even before your kids ask.

Parent of a 10 and 16-year-old Written byMountaindance November 8, 2017

Not that bad.... no need to be too alarmist.

I let my 16 yo son use Snapchat, but would certainly not let my 10 yo daughter (and will probably keep her off it until she is 15 depending on her maturity).

Snapchat gets a bad rap since all messages disappear quickly. As a result, kids can send something mischievous and not get caught. And parents can't keep up with their kids' messages in the way they can with texts. So the parent bandwagon has been to require one of two things: either make your kid befriend you on Snapchat so you see what he/she is posting or make your kid delete the Snapchat app altogether. But I say neither is the answer. First of all: there are some good features to Snapchat. This article here (google - Huffington Post What Parents Don't Get About Snapchat) outlines that well. Secondly, keep in mind that anyone can create more than one Snapchat identity. So while you think you're following you kid on Snapchat, he/she could have an entirely different identity you don't know and aren't following. So don't waste your time with that.

Its also important to know the culture of teen messaging (texting, PMing, Snapchatting, etc). There is a lot of bravado that is done on message sites that is not necessarily representative of the kids' reality. They like to show off online by saying things they'd never really do. Digital media offers a sort of anonymity or a sense of being a step or two removed from reality. As a result, kids will talk about all kinds of things to sound cool, when in reality they'd never really do any of it at all. So you can drive yourself nuts trying to decipher things or figuring out the what/why/how of their messages, only to eventually determine none of that is going on at all. I've been there. I'm a counselor myself and have consulted with child psychologists as well. And I've concluded its just not worth it to comb my son's messages. So I don't do it anymore. I would say this - if you think your kid is really at risk (getting bad grades, hanging out with the wrong kind of kids, sneaking out at night, etc), then sure read messages (but take everything with a grain of salt). But if your kid is doing ok (decent grades, responsible friends, etc), then forgo the message reading and don't be alarmist about Snapchat. Most kids make mistakes and aren't perfect (and I have been through my share of challenges with my son), but unless you are really concerned, then let your kid have some privacy. If a kid feels too watched (even the good ones), he/she can respond by upping the ante and being even more sneaky (which is not want you want). But if you have open conversations and set appropriate limits, know your kids friends, and see good grades and reasonable decisions happening, then give your kid some latitude and you'll probably have few issues than if you are very protective. And I don't say this as a lax mom at all (I'm fairly watchful and my son thinks I'm "strict"), but I've also learned how to not drive myself crazy either. Just some things to think about when it comes to messaging apps. Of course, each parent has to make his/her own decision based on the family and kids involved.