Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Adult Written byC_Stark October 8, 2019

It’s fine if your kid is responsible

Honestly, I don’t see what is so bad about this app. It’s no different than the texting or WhatsApp. If you monitor your kid, it should be fine. In fact, it’s safer than texting. If you want to send anything to someone, you have to friend them, and they have to friend you back, so you can’t just send anything to anyone. But while texting, anyone can send you anything. If you have a teen, you should monitor them more. Overall, I think it is a fun app for kids if you monitor them. Ages 10+

Adult Written byBigbootyluci September 3, 2019

I’m usually pretty lenient but this crosses a line

My 15 year old was sent a picture of a mans genitals on this site. I realize that makes me sound like an old lady but I can’t say d pic on here I don’t think. Don’t get me wrong, kids at that age are sexually curious and some even active but this picture wasn’t expected or requested. I’m not naive about kids and their sexuality but this just grossed me out to hear. Have some respect. I know teens can find sexually explicit just about anywhere but I think this website is a bad idea.

Adult Written byaoibhekelly August 8, 2019

DISAPPOINTED

hello everyone my name is aoibhe (ava) (a-vah) and quite frankly i am very peed off about this app. All of my pictures have disappeared and i’ve emailed telling them and still nothing is been done about the situation. I have been on the app for 3 years and took ALL of my pictures on it and may have lost some very valuable pictures me myself and my family and friends. I am so so angry about this it would be a different story if i didn’t get in touch with them but the fact i did makes this unexpected

Parent Written byHeather M. July 27, 2019

Adult Written byEnmcneil July 27, 2019

Snapchat not safe for kids

App is not for kids sexual content is very inappropriate they can click on any of those inappropriate ads that you cannot control
Adult Written byRobbie B July 18, 2019

Awful/Disgusting

Started to review my 13 year old kids Snapchat, so I pressed an unknown name that sent a snap and guess what I got? A picture of a penis, yup. In f___ing believable. This app is ridiculous and definitely should not be downloaded for kids.

Adult Written byAnneJ1771 June 23, 2019

Worst App for Kids

Do not let your kids get this! Kids don’t truly comprehend the footprint they are leaving about themselves with this.
Adult Written byJoshuabbean June 22, 2019

13+

13+

Adult Written bySnapback June 20, 2019

Not the first time.

Dont bother doing streaks. You can snap back literally EVERY day and still LOSE THE STREAK. and they wont even help you. Who purposefully loses 335 days worth?
Adult Written byTV-007 May 24, 2019

Bad

Waste of time and space on your device

Adult Written bypabloescobar May 9, 2019

snapchat lol

it is good
Adult Written byhahhah13 May 3, 2019

Frustrated

I've been trying to long in my Snapchat for at least a month and its NOT LETTING ME IN!! I've tried changing it but keeps giving me a WRONG account.

Adult Written byebaughman000 April 15, 2019

Just be responsible!!

As a 13 year old girl I must say that a few of you people are making this app seem worse then it is. I'm a smart, nice, funny, girl. I have lots of friends that when I am not at school, i'll talk to them on snapchat. Yes, there are articles that pop up sometimes with inappropriate topics, but nobody says you have to read them... Also parents, you can make an account too or just monitor your child's phone, ipad, ipod, etc.. and monitor their account. Know their passwords. You can say "Don't add anyone you don't know." and if they do add someone that they don't know and are talking to them, then that's in your hands and your child has just disobeyed you.. Also you can block and delete people, it isn't that difficult. AND you can monitor who views your "Snap Story" too! AND you don't have to give it your location but, if you do you can monitor who can see your location too! So, there are many different ways to protect yourself on this app. If you don't send nudes, don't talk to strangers, don't post rude or inappropriate things, you should be fine with having this app. My mom always says "Don't post anything you wouldn't want to show your parents, grandparents, teachers, principal, or the cops" etc.. So don't make this app seem bad because you don't know how to fix it. Where there's a problem, there's a solution.

Adult Written byh.bloomenthal April 3, 2019

don't let your child con you into this

All the negative reviews are right- your child (under 18 - and even then I question it) does NOT have the good sense to realise that every single thing on Snapchat is indeed saveable and will haunt them the rest of their lives. Watch out for this one, it's super popular with not just the bad kids- but the GOOD kids who think they can control it. They can't.

Adult Written byGraceCamp March 27, 2019

It's bad.

For starters, I allowed my girls to have this app. They are normally responsible A students that make good choices. I though, ok, we won't be one of "those" families. Wrong. My daughter ended up in trouble, which prompted me to invade her privacy by going completely through every account she has. One man had actually set his story on snapchat as a video of a pitbull puppy sucking his you know what. I'm not even kidding. It was heartbreaking and disgusting. I'm 40 years old and I've NEVER seen something like that. I immediately deleted her account. She won't be having a smart phone any time in the near future. She's 15. Technology is ruining the world. I went in to the school the other day and ever single kid in there was silent on their phones. They don't even interact with one another anymore. It's disturbing. I decided that, as a family, we are making a change and I deleted all my social media accounts too. Just a heads up, Snapchat is 50 shades of evil. Not just for "those" kids. I saw all kinds of kids' stories. Church kids, geeky kids, bad kids, jock kids...they were ALL making unwise decisions online. It was overwhelming to me and I just had to turn it all off. No wonder teens are overwhelmed and suicidal today. It's way way way too much.

Adult Written byiMom March 24, 2019

Contributing to the delinquency of the children

We allowed this for our middle school aged child. It is a cess pool, a time waster, and allows kids to share things they believe "won't be saved". I used a spy software, to catch the activity.
After several attempts, not only did we delete SnapChat; we deleted the child's apple id. Once you give permission to install an app, you can't take it back. Save yourself the hassle and don't install it.

Adult Written byhannahbannah March 23, 2019

Very good

Many parents are saying that this app promotes bad things, but truly it does not. if your child is responsible and they handle social media fairly this is just like that. The privacy settings are good and you can block anyone as well as report people. My 12 year old, 13 year old and 11 year old all have it and I completely trust them. just hook their snap up to your phone number if you want and you can check their feed and history

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byAemilie Adullaz March 23, 2019

Snapchat is 16 and up but Snapchat is not bad

It’s not bad
1. Privacy setting online
2. Block bad filters

Adult Written byNotaparent March 22, 2019

Perfectly reasonable

It’s completely fine as long as you’re account is on private. And if parents are still worried then they can monitor their child’s profile. Don’t leave a bad review just because you are insecure about children being able to communicate.

Adult Written byAlpaca_Lover_Fr... March 22, 2019

Snapchat...

I think Snapchat is a great app! Although, kid can have too much time to play/snap your friends. I think it’s a great way to communicate. You can always turn off the location tracker and you have to accept everyone who wants to see you account. Love Snapchat!!!