Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Adult Written byKatiebarnette February 22, 2019

Good for classrooms

I believe that Snapchat is a good tool in school and could be useful for teachers to use. I think if teachers were to post important updates on a class “Snapchat story” then students would see it rather than a class website.

Adult Written byUnitedv February 20, 2019
Adult Written bySmyhiitrp February 16, 2019

LET YOUR CHILD HAVE SNAPCHAT!

A lot of people say not to trust Snapchat. Mostly because of the disappearing messages. I completely understand that, but if your child is good than you should be able to trust them. No one can see your story unless they are an accepted friend. You can tell your kid that every time they get a new friend request they have to ask you first before they accept the request. This way you know everyone that’s on there account. You can also check there account many times to see what there up to.
Adult Written bydbrown86 February 15, 2019

EXPLICIT

Hello ya'll when i say i'm disappointed. oh man i'm disappointed! I got onto my 13 year old daughters snap (as the kids call it, don't be fooled like me SNAP=SNAPCHAT!! ) only to find explicit photos that I really wish not to go into detail about. Not only did I come upon explicit sexual photos but also with my little eyes I saw children... CHILDREN YA'll smoking e cigs and who knows what else!! You do whatever but as long as my children (8 & 13) are in my house there will be NO snapchat (snap)!!

Adult Written by373848ben February 12, 2019
Adult Written bySydneykunes January 21, 2019

Username

I love Snapchat! I use the app a lot more than any other app to connect with people around me. I personally don’t like that you can’t change your username. It’s something so simple, I’ve had my Snapchat since It came out when I was 15 and I’m 20 now. Out of all the other apps like Instagram you can change your username. Snapchat says you can’t change it because of security reasons? It you want to change it you have to make a whole other account and lose all of what you had on the other one. If it was such a big security reason problem why aren’t any of the other apps doing it as well? I would love for Snapchat to update the app so you can change it. I’m pretty sure many other people are frustrated on this to.

Adult Written byBgllghr January 5, 2019

—100

this app is continuously going downhill. you suck the shut out of everyone’s batteries, you don’t show best friends, and you are more laggy than ANY OTHER APP THAT I uSE. why has someone not come up with a more battery and user friendly app like this yet? your lame ass is clearly falling out of trend . and besides the point about 85% if the people sending alcohol snaps on bars are underage and illegal

Adult Written byFuckoff12345 December 29, 2018

Not recognised??

It's shocking when you get a new phone. Try to log on and it doesn't recognise you. Email address not recognised apparently.

So you create a new profile go through all the length questions to be told the email address is already in use

Adult Written byKayleigh521 December 28, 2018
Personally I’m just an 18 year old and don’t have any kids to look after. But I do agree that snapchat is definitely not a kid-friendly app. Parents can’t moniter the activity as easily as on other social media, which I think is necessarily for kids that aren’t mature enough yet, which to me, is someone under 16. Someone at the age of 16 should be mature enough to know what is safe and unsafe, and they know their interests to see what they want to follow. As on other social media’s, there’s sexual content on here. Of course you don’t see it unless you go out of your way since you have to add them or follow them to see it, but it does exist and you still might accidentally come across it. With Snaps and conversations disappearing quickly, you don’t know what someone is up to.
It’s a great app for older people who know what to do though. Because the photos disappear unless someone went out of their way to save them and not have the other know, it can be easier to send silly and stupid pictures to friends, and you don’t care as much if you look ‘ugly’ in one of them. It’s harder to use something against someone, and it makes talking where you see the other a lot easier especially if you don’t know each other irl.

Adult Written bysebrinachil December 26, 2018
Snapchat is an app that has many diverse opinions. It all comes down to one simple question - do you trust your child? Do you trust they will not send inappropriate images to friends? Do you trust that they will tell you if anything is going on ? If you answered yes - then you should let them get it. You just need to know your child and make the decision yourself.

Adult Written bylaboys221 December 11, 2018

Not as bad as it is made out to be

My 15 year old daughter has been using snapchat for about 6 months now, and she likes it a lot, and ive checked her snap from time to time and everything is fine, only the people you allow can see your story and teens know that their pictures never truly dissapear, so it works great with her, as long as your kids are responsible and have good friends

Adult Written byPreet_mniii November 30, 2018

Bakwasssssss......

Adult Written bydjblue3 November 29, 2018

Totally unsafe and terrible!

Snapchat is a TERRIBLE app in so many ways. for starters, there’s a filter which it shows your specific location. LIKE if your in a hotel room it shows exactly which level and room your at. Thankfully you can turn it off. Also there are DISAPPEARING messages. There could be a threat and you wouldnt know! Lastly, Discover may feature terrible news stories :(
Adult Written bymjzturtlez November 23, 2018

Great and fun but do be cautious

I used to have Snapchat when I was 10. But I’m 11 and my parents won’t let me. It is safe and fun, as long as you use it right. There can be older people doing bad things who try and add you, but if you use the private account, you can ignore their request to follow you and talk to you. They can’t do anything unless you accept their request. There’s fun filters and lenses to use. I think it’s an ok app but not if it’s used wrong.

Written byAnonymous November 22, 2018

The butt review

Adult Written byMatthew595 November 21, 2018

It’s good

You can message your friend’s and you can send photos with your
Friends that last ether until you delete them or they go away in 24 hours
Adult Written byBananas789 November 14, 2018

Stop being over protective

The app is awesome and you can save your messages take screenshots and leave group. Quit making a big deal.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byFoge100 November 5, 2018

Its ok

I mean there is only so much time but wih any other social media

Adult Written byMagicalmaryann November 4, 2018

Super fun

If you want my opinion, it's not that bad. You can control your settings and control who you want to talk to or look at your story. If you find something inappropriate, just report it! It's that simple, if someone is harassing your kid, just report their account! Don't complain about it. You have so much control over Snapchat and not only that it's fun to take selfies with filters and put cool stickers on your photo. It's a creative space for kids and adults to have fun.

Adult Written byLaurasnap November 1, 2018