Free alternative (with ads) for text-message junkies.

Parent Written bysweetiepiecy November 30, 2013

Not appropriate for anyone under 16!!!

Its great that my 10 yr old daughter can text me, but she started getting random msgs from people/men with very inappropriate things. One msg talked about drugs and another msg from someone else talked about fu*$king [email protected] Anyway, point is, we've tried many different text apps, and they are all the same, anyone can txt you. Can someone invent an app where only your contacts can msg you, please!
Parent Written bycommon.sense101 August 19, 2012

Stranger Danger

What's to stop creepers from texting my kid? I found messages from a multiple phone numbers linked to text-free they aren't appropriate conversations and my kid doesn't know these people in real life...
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 August 4, 2011

Not for all ages.

My 9-year-old sister won't get off this. She comes home every day and when my mother asks her to do her chores, she says, "Hold on! Let me check my texts!" And then now that they have CALLING it's JUST LIKE a phone, when she's not even allowed to have one. AND it's totally free. This app is taking her out of her real life (she texts during movies and many other family activities, which angers all of us.) What I personally think is that Textfree should be an app for only people who have phones already, as an alternative for people who don't have unlimited texting--not for the ones younger than that who can't really handle a cell phone. I say off for ten and under, because anyone who gives their kid a cell phone before the age of 11 is probably either an idiot or a downright bad parent that doesn't know how much trouble kids can get in with cell phones. Their excuse is, "Well, I can just check my kid's texts to make sure nobody's hurting their little feelings!" My answer is, "Have you ever heard of the 'delete' option? It's a really neat invention where KIDS DELETE TEXTS SO THEIR PARENTS ONLY SEE THE GOOD THAT'S GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES!!!!!!"
Kid, 9 years old March 24, 2013

Good and Bad

This app is great for kids who do not have a cell phone! My parents let me use it. WARNING: YOU SHOULD WATCH WHO YOUR KID TEXTS! YOU MAY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT PRIVACY AND LANGUAGE MOST ADS ARE OK
Teen, 14 years old Written byPinkalicious28 March 23, 2013

Great App!

I have an iPod touch, but I don't have a cell phone (even though I'm 14). In addition to iMessaging, i can text people from this who don't own an iPhone or other apple products. If I am somewhere with wifi, I can text my parents when I need them for something. This is really useful!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMarketer1 September 18, 2015

Teens misusing Textfree to send anonymous texts

While this app may have uses as listed in the review, I've found that teens are signing up for Textfree temporarily in order to send "anonymous" texts, then deactivating the app to avoid being caught. Unfortunately, this app could very easily be used for cyberbullying. Not cool.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamantha.f July 13, 2015

exactly like a phone

this is a wonderful app that allows your child to text his or her friends. it's a great tool to teach children how to use Internet and social networking. you can use this app to encourage your child to be a good cyber-citizen. set ground rules such as •no texting friends the parents don't know about •no texting after a certain hour ect. make sure your kid knows that sexting (sending "dirty" pictures of themsleves to someone else) is illegal and they can get into big trouble. this is a great app to prepare your child for a real phone. the only thing I don't like is that this app runs down the wifi a lot so beware.
Kid, 7 years old September 1, 2011

good app

it is the best texting app out there
Adult Written bymaggie.puckett4... December 31, 2015

What do I Think

Well for this being my first time maybe getting used to this and not knowing that i could get on this website but i really like it so yeah.
Kid, 12 years old May 8, 2012

Makiyah Burton

i think this is the best site for kids 12 and older instead of facebook
Teen, 14 years old Written bytinydixie April 16, 2012

i like it

i like it alot
Parent Written bysuperdad1101 December 12, 2011

Awesome for kids 1o and up

This app is the greatest app ever. I think that it is so good because my son Jake can text me when he finishes his music lessons. He can talk to his friends and its all free
Kid, 12 years old November 12, 2011

Great for begginers!

Textfree is perfect if you don't want to pay for the all time favorite cell phone. This app is for the ipod touch and iphone. Your kids can download 'lite' for free which you won't get unlimited. But you can get unlimited for just 5-7 dollars. This is a cost that will happen once a year. You may not want unlimited just because your kid will always have there face in there ipod touch. This app does not require wi-fi. So its perfect for begginers!
Parent of a 13 year old Written bysafemom101 May 3, 2011

great for 10 and up

this app is a fun app for children who do not have a phone like my son, billy now he can be like one of the cooler kids at his school and not be excluded Allison
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 October 22, 2010

Good texting app

This is a good app for anyone who's got an iPod touch (or any other system, if it can get this app). This is good for tweens/teens who don't have cell phones Not to mention its free. But, like most free stuff, there's ads. And you can only text 160 characters per text. But it's not so bad. Safety shouldn't be an issue; just make sure kids are texting people they know (and are obviously close to). If tweens just stay safe and don't click on the ads, then they should be fine.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2010

Texting is now for tweens and up!

I like how it's free. I always wanted to text on an i-pod touch and now I can!
Adult Written byBreezy D. August 6, 2016

Good for stay at home -

Thus app and in reality any WiFi apps are good for people that aren't on the go - but for a child spending the night at a friend or going to mall this is perfect - drops calls and the person your calling usually can't hear you well but overall much better than other apps???
Teen, 15 years old Written byRosebud95 October 22, 2010

If you have an iPood Touch and wanna text, use this.

I like this app because now you can text on your iPod touch if you get it. But you have to pay if you wanna hide ads. Its a good app, though.
Adult Written byMara J. December 29, 2016

Textfree Best app ever

I can make calls and send unlimited texts through wifi. I have sent texts to people in other states and have gotten good response time.