Parent reviews for TikTok - Real Short Videos

Sing, lip-synch, and share videos; watch for iffy content.

Adult Written bySurjeet May 19, 2020

Tik Tok platform is badly abused by mind sick people like raping and acid attacks on girls, atrocities on animals, religious hate promotion. is is not good for society. There is need to check officially for censor criteria for harmful content for society, if tik tok wants to go ahead otherwise ban tik tok

Adult Written byAkipaari May 19, 2020

Tiktok

Tiktok is waste of time .. addictive app .. very bad for kids .. utter nonsense is there .. inappropriate content is being used .

Worst effect on teenagers .
Beware of this app
Adult Written bySiddharth_17 May 18, 2020

This app is very badlly nd this persons use this are unexpectedly..sexy videos are uploaded so that this is disgusting

Adult Written byJamess77 May 18, 2020

Bad for kids

Want society to go down the toilet because our kids want views and will do literally anything for them? This is your app. Stop creating self destructive things.

Adult Written byCT-57689 May 18, 2020

Toxic

Ticktock has a toxic environment and a toxic community. Lots of trolls and inappropriate banter. Do not let your children on this app. It will suck all there time down the drain.

Adult Written bypurk May 18, 2020

avoid Tiktok

no good at all.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byCatholic_Boy May 17, 2020

Terrible

Terrible and for creepy old men to look at young kids.

Adult Written byCarmen A May 15, 2020

It's only bad if you make it

This app will ask you what you would like to see as soon as you get on it. Then it will start to show videos of all topics, just mostly the ones you picked, and whichever topic of videos you picked, is the kind you are going to see. Now they do allow some slightly bad videos, but if it gets really bad then it will get taken down. If you heart all of the bad videos, then you will get bad videos. I recommend that you allow your child to watch this, but monitor them, and take it away if they cannot follow your guidelines.

Adult Written byCarlaWeeks May 14, 2020

Safe and fun

It’s a great app. Nothing bad, I was really hesitant to get it for my daughter but I’m glad I did. Really fun.

Adult Written byAnonymous97 May 13, 2020

As a 23 year old who uses tiktok please don’t allow your kids to use this app

I love tiktok but it has a massive community of kids and frankly it’s not safe for them to use. Most of them are following well known adult tiktokkers who’s content is not kid friendly (swearing, sexual references etc.), sometimes their content promotes sexism and racism in a “jokey” but offensive manner and your kids absorb that material because they’re impressionable. These tiktokkers also make money off feeding that type of content to your children. I see a lot of kids harassing adult tik tokkers for calling out other adult tiktokkers who promote these toxic beliefs because obviously these kids believe their favourite tiktokker undoubtedly. The amount of times I see children call adult women dishwashers and black people the n word is too much (there are adult tiktokkers who do this). They’re too young to understand what they’re saying and the reality is those type of comments and videos stay on the Internet forever. Even if you’ve deleted their accounts, the app still possesses that information. A lot of teenagers have already ruined their future for posting something racist or sexist - where it resulted in them not graduating or going to college etc. & so the fact that actual children are absorbing this material and spewing it out on TikTok is concerning for their future & self growth. I enjoy the app very much and for the most part it can be a pleasant and an insightful app but only if you’re mature enough to analyze and process the information you’re watching. I feel like this about most social media. I wish I wasn’t on social media until I was 15 because it can have real negative affects on the brain and self confidence. I know kids love the app, but they’re far too young and until the app puts more effort into ensuring that offensive and hateful content is removed without a doubt and that kids will only see appropriate content, I do not recommend this app for children. I’d also like to add that children are clever, they find ways to lie about their age to experience the “age appropriate” content.

Adult Written byQuebd May 13, 2020

this website is so bad!

The website takes up so much of my child's time and she is barely getting any work done because she is doing Tictoks with her friends all the time!

Adult Written byChocDigestive May 13, 2020

Parents should be aware of the default privacy

Kids love this app and its easy to see why with the funny videos and 60 second dance moves. There is an unavoidable exposure to bad language on there so it's best avoided if you don't want your child hearing or miming swear words.

However, the biggest concern is that a lot of parents let kids create their own accounts. By default these accounts are public and so many kids post all kinds of information about themselves, where they live etc. There really needs to be more education about this in schools.
I made a video to try and help parents understand how the app works and how their kids may be using it:

Adult Written byDylanMeer420 May 7, 2020

Why tik tok is great for tweens and teens

For me me and my kid have set boundaries and it has worked out very well! He doesn't show his face and hs private account settings he lets me regularly check his phone and it is also good during this quarantine to connect with his friends.

Adult Written byEJKorvette May 6, 2020

Sounds Innocent, But Isn't; "Rap" "Music" is disgusting

I don't have any children, but I follow this site to find apps I would have missed, like Tik Tok.
Sounds pretty innocent, right? Kids can lip-sync to music and make their own videos. Well, the music that is out there is disgusting.
I don't listen to rap, so I had no idea that the lyrics were so disturbing. Really, it's all about sex, drugs, and violence. And this is the music that is accessible through Tik Tok. Do you want your middle and younger high school kids to hear this? Dancing to music about sex and drugs?
I didn't think so.

Adult Written byGOGreen123 May 6, 2020

DANGER! Please research before letting your child use

Common sense is not telling you all the information you need to know about this app. It used to be Musical.ly - and the name changed to TIK Tok, probably due to the bad publicity and warnings that it was a child predator’s playground. (Search News reports). It is also CHINA owned and there is great concern with China collecting data on users. PRIVACY issues are a concern and I have personally seen vulgar and obscene material and have read that children are easily exploited on this app. Anyone can see your children if you are not careful. I closed my child’s app down. READ THIS: https://www.wbrc.com/2020/02/06/tik-tok-app-can-be-meeting-place-predato... and this: https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/is-tiktok-dangerous.

Adult Written byJulie P. May 4, 2020

With the right restrictions...

I think that letting your child connect with their friends is really important right now. I put restrictions on my daughter's account, using an extra platform and I looked at it myself. The content was fine and really put her in a good mood, which was great to see. And still, I think that we underestimate how much our kids can handle and that they don't really need content to be filtered because they know about the topics already. However TikTok was known for sharing information... but it should be fine now. I also linked my account to hers and she has to ask me to log in, so I am happy with her using it.

Adult Written byRatingPro May 4, 2020

Despicable

Contains any sort of content on video, and privacy concerns.

Adult Written byjessicanida April 28, 2020

good only 7 age rating

Adult Written byJaydogZackery April 22, 2020

Racist and prejudiced content can slide

TikTok is also very selective on which users and videos to viralize. Adults can comment on teens' posts in a pretty nasty way.

Adult Written byEmily R. April 22, 2020

This app is a very bad influence on our kids

This app is a bad idea for any child or teen. Kids swear and I've even seen content that is very suggestive. ie. girls taking off their bra and throwing it at their boy friends as suggested by the latest Tik-tok trend-- take your shirt off in front of your boyfriend and record his reaction for all to see. The girls don't show themselves but this "suggestion" isn't something I would want my daughter to be taking any time soon. Suggestive dances and clothing are also really troublesome. If you want to raise good, morally clean children, I would avoid this app. Also, I have heard that it will allow others to view the users private information very easily.