All parent member reviews for Toontastic

Educator and Parent Written byaziza_malik February 17, 2014

LEARNING

Toontastic Review for Kindergartners

This is a review for Toontasic written by 4th graders. Toontasic is an app where you create a cartoon using the elements of a story. We tested this app out with our kindergarten book buddies. Three words to describe this app are confusing, complicated, and creative. We think this app is good for ages 9 and up. We gave this app 2 stars. We claim this app can be inappropriate depending on age group. This app is not good for younger ages because the steps are too hard. The kindergartners did not know enough about the elements of a story for it to make sense to them. Also, in the free version, there were not enough options – characters, setting. The kindergartners wanted all of the characters that were locked. It was hard for them to understand that it cost $19.99 to unlock them. Finally, there is an option to draw characters, but this freedom to draw anything was distracting. They ended up just wanting to draw instead of thinking about the story. One thing that is good about this app is for the right age group it could be fun. We tried it out in our classroom and had a good time with it, but for this age group it was too challenging. In conclusion, we believe this app is not good for use with kindergartners. Watch our review of Toontastic on Toontastic here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXddv4-Uk8
Parent Written bylaheye November 16, 2014

LEARNING

kids love it, but in app is downfall

I don't know how I missed the $15 or $20 requirement to actually play this. That is why it is getting knocked down so far. I never would have purchased it if I'd known it would get my kids hooked and then prompt them to pay so much to get features unlocked. They seem to really like it, but my 7 year old has difficulty and my 9 year old is totally into it. I tried it as well and just don't feel like you can really do $15 or $20 worth of fun with it.