Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Yik Yak

Gossipy, crass anonymous app lets you message nearby users.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byPopcorn247 December 2, 2015

It's a great app for college students, and nobody else.

First things first, if you know of a high school or elementary school where kids are using this app, report it! Children aren't meant to use this app, and the developers have implemented a way to block people from using it near schools. Go to http://support.yikyakapp.com/ and you will be able to request a geofence around the school. Problem solved! Now, on to the review. I love yikyak. I use it all the time. However, college students are the only people who have any business using this app. They are it's intended demographic, after all. At my school, which is admittedly a tiny catholic university in the middle of nowhere, it's a great way to find out what's going on around campus, tell jokes, blow off steam, meet up and talk about all kinds of things. I've seen people calmly debate serious issues such as abortion, race relations, gun violence and others. Most offensive posts get voted away within seconds where I am, but some places aren't so lucky, and kids have no reason to use it anyway. An automatic filter deletes most posts that contain names, and it's simple and easy to block/report any offensive posts. They developers are taking steps to move the app in a different direction, but they can only go so far. In short, it's not the totally evil app a lot of people make it out to be, but it is not and never will be meant for kids.

Ease of Play
Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bydavidh3 November 29, 2014

CYBER BULLYING APP BEWARE!!!!

Spoken to friends who have had awfull annonymous messages sent to a huge amount of users of this app about their 16yr old daughter and they cant be traced..
DONT USE... TOTALLY AWFULL MESSAGES AND PEOPLE AGREEING TO MEET OTHERS ARE NOT WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE!!!!

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bymkholmgreen November 3, 2014

Yik Yak promotes bigotry

If I could give Yik Yak zero stars, I would. Yik Yak deletes any comments raising awareness about “tough” issues such as rape, racism, sexual harassment, et cetera. While this app has the potential to be a platform for expression, Yik Yak promotes bigotry and hinders progression in furthering equal rights for genders and races. While Yik Yak deletes any comments (within seconds) that call attention to the issues of rape or violent hate crimes in our culture, it does not delete comments that further the negative stereotypes about genders and races. By doing this, Yik Yak robs its users of a basic, fundamental right: freedom of speech. This app could serve as a place for people who are victim of these negative stereotypes and inequality to have a place where they can speak up and not face serious consequences (violence) for expressing and standing up for themselves; instead, Yik Yak encourages bullies and bigots to insult people without consequence and hinder social progression towards human equality. I’m not saying Yik Yak should delete offensive comments, I’m saying Yik Yak shouldn’t delete the ones that actually could make a difference in this world and make people think twice about the society they’re living in. I sure hope someone actually sees this review before Yik Yak finds some way to delete this, too.