What should students know about sending email to a teacher?
Kids are pretty savvy when it comes to how to talk to teachers (and how talking to teachers is different from talking to friends). But when it comes to email, some kids could use reminders about proper etiquette. Here are some guidelines:
- Use a proper salutation, correct grammar, and full sentences.
- Clearly state the purpose of the email (didn't understand the homework, forgot the field trip form).
- Save problems, complaints, and other issues for face-to-face discussion -- that avoids a lot of drama.
- Avoid anything that might be considered rude (check the message over to make sure nothing could be misconstrued).
- Don't overuse emoticons.
- Avoid attaching long, elaborate email signatures with images, song quotes, and so on.
- Don't reply all and send superfluous messages to everybody in the class or community.