Get the latest in kids’ media, tech, and news right to your inbox
Search by Age and Topic
Follow Common Sense
5 Conversations to Have with Your Kids After "Beauty and the Beast"
Beauty and the Beast is a gorgeous, beautifully made live-action remake of Disney's animated "tale as old as time." It's fantastic, although definitely a bit scarier/more intense than the original. But, as always, the story encourages viewers to look beyond the superficial and to be compassionate, curious, humble, and generous -- all of which means it gives families plenty to talk about. Try these discussion questions for kids:
- How do you think this live-action version compares with the animated original? Which differences do you like most? Which do you like least? Why?
- Even if you were expecting them, how did the movie's scary scenes make you feel? How much scary stuff can young kids handle?
- How do the characters demonstrate compassion, curiosity, humility, and empathy? Why are those important character strengths?
- How does Belle compare with other Disney princesses? Is she curious? Do you consider her a role model?
- What makes Gaston's conceited, self-centered nature funny? Is he a caricature of the stereotypical leading man? Do your feelings about him change over the course of the story? Why?