Get the latest in kids' media, tech, and news right to your inbox
Search by Age and Topic
Follow Common Sense
5 Conversations to Have with Your Kids After "Born in China"
Narrated by John Krasinski, Born in China is a fascinating nature documentary that introduces families to snow leopards, golden monkeys, and giant pandas living in remote parts of China. It's family-friendly overall, with messages about courage, but there are intense scenes of animals in peril and fighting for survival. Which means there's plenty for families to talk about! Try these discussion questions for kids:
- Why do you think wildlife documentaries are so popular? What attracts families to nature films? Are they more appropriate for kids than other live-action movies? Why, or why not?
- Does humanizing animals in movies such as Born in China make them more or less relatable? How are some of the animals depicted as "good" or "bad"?
- How does the movie show the importance of courage? Why is that a key character strength?
- Kids: Did you find any of the movie scary or upsetting? Why, or why not? How much scary stuff can young kids handle?
- Why do you think TaoTao's father forced him away from his family? Can you understand choices like that when they happen in nature?