5 Conversations to Have with Your Kids After "Penguins"
Featuring humor-filled narration by Ed Helms, Penguins is a charming documentary about a male Adélie penguin -- dubbed "Steve" -- who's joining adult society in its first breeding season in uncompromising Antarctica. It's kid-friendly overall, with messages of teamwork and perseverance, but there are some moments involving peril and predators -- which means there's plenty for families to talk about after watching this Common Sense Seal-honored film. Try these discussion questions for kids:
- Talk about the peril/violence in Penguins. Is it appropriate for the target audience? How much violence is too much for kids?
- What did you learn about Adélie penguins from watching this documentary? What do you think of them as parents?
- How does the narration add to the story? What if there were no narration? Do you prefer nature documentaries with funny narration or more serious, matter-of-fact narration?
- How is perseverance displayed in the film? Why is this an important character strength?
- How do penguin parents provide an example of teamwork? How does it feel when you're part of a team that's working well together?
Related Advice & Top Picks
- Most Discussed
- Most Shared