5 Conversations to Have with Your Kids After "Queen of Katwe"
Queen of Katwe is the inspiring true story of a girl from the slums of Uganda who becomes a chess champion. This Common Sense Seal honoree has many hard scenes, but they're accompanied by strong messages and positive themes, giving families lots to talk about. Try these topics and questions to get started:
- How do the characters demonstrate empathy, humility, integrity, and perseverance? Why are these important character strengths?
- How does Phiona's day-to-day life compare with yours? What makes her a sympathetic, relatable character? How is she a role model?
- How accurate do you think the movie depicted what actually happened? Why might filmmakers alter the facts when making movies based on true stories?
- Some of the children (and some adults) get very upset when they lose. What do you do when you're faced with disappointment?
- Phiona's mother is sometimes hard on Phiona and her siblings. Can you see why she'd be that way? Kids: Do you ever feel that your parents ask too much of you or expect you to do more than you'd rather do?