5 Conversations to Have with Your Kids After "Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker"
It's safe to say that Star Wars fans are eager to find out how the four-decades-long Skywalker saga ends. The Rise of Skywalker answers that question with a mix of fast-paced sci-fi action, intense emotions, and galaxy-altering decisions. As always, there are also strong messages of courage, teamwork, hope, and loyalty -- which gives families plenty to talk about. Try these topics/questions to get started:
- Talk about the movie's violence. Do scenes of explosions and space battles affect you differently from those of close-up, one-on-one lightsaber duels and killings? Why do you think that is? What makes more of an impact: violence or loss? Why? How does this movie handle both?
- Who are the movie's heroes? How are they role models? Do they demonstrate courage and teamwork?
- How is diversity -- and a lack thereof -- used to indicate the values of the opposing sides of the conflict in the Star Wars series? Why is it notable that the First Order has very little diversity, while the Republic has a lot of it?
- Talk about the themes from the previous movies that repeat themselves here. Why are issues of good vs. evil, mentorship, and so on so important to this series? How do they play out on-screen?
- What are your thoughts on the way the Skywalker saga ends? What do you think happens in the future for the characters, the Force, and the galaxy?