How to Set Parental Controls on Netflix
From reboots to originals, Netflix is full of entertainment for kids. Of course, it also has tons of age-inappropriate shows that kids could easily stumble across. Netflix updated its parental controls in April 2020, giving parents the ability to PIN-protect each user profile. This ensures kids can only access their own profile and can't change the content restrictions.
You can enable a few parental controls through the Netflix app but you get more options by going through your account on a web browser. Parental controls are just one way to help your kid learn to make appropriate choices and manage screen time independently. They work best with conversation about why you're restricting access. Here's how to set parental controls on Netflix:
In your profile:
- Log in, click on your profile icon, then click Account.
- Scroll down to Settings.
- Click on Parental Controls.
- Enter your Netflix password.
- Go to your profile.
- Using the drop-down, decide what maturity ratings you want for yourself.
- Next, check the box under Profile Lock.
- Enter a PIN.
In your kid's profile:
- Next, go to your kid's profile, or create one if you haven't already.
- In the drop-down, choose the most appropriate rating: TV-Y (6 and Under); TV-Y7 (7 and younger); TV-G (general audience); TV-PG (parental guidance); etc. These restrictions are set according to the MPAA and TV rating systems.
- Enable Netflix Kids experience if you expect your kid to be interacting on Netflix independently. Kids experience offers a simplified interface and prevents access to all settings.
- Enable Profile Lock and choose a PIN that your kid will use to get into their profile.
- When you're finished, scroll all the way down and click Apply.
Restrict specific titles:
- If you want to restrict specific titles, regardless of their maturity rating, go to your account page and click on the profile for which you want to block specific titles.
- Scroll to Viewing Restrictions and log in.
- Type the titles you want to block into the box under Title Restrictions. (You can also enable the Kids experience on this page.)
- Click Save.
Note: Remember to lock each profile, make each PIN different, and don't tell your kids your PIN. Also, don't share your Netflix password with your kids! If you do, and they're very determined to watch a show, they can get into the Parental Controls settings by using the Netflix password.
Related Advice & Top Picks
- Most Discussed
- Most Shared