All member reviews for 1984

Classic dystopian novel of life under constant scrutiny.

Teen, 15 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx February 26, 2012

Best assigned book I've read!

My English class was assigned this book back in the late fall while others in our school were mostly reading Brave New World. After hearing people compare the two books, I'm glad our teacher chose 1984. It didn't feel like I was forced to read but was more of a welcome suggestion. Kids in our class loved to find out where the terms "Big Brother" and "Thought Police" came from. I also liked the fact it was realistic because SPOILER: Winston doesn't succeed in getting rid of communism because it is unlikely that one man really can change the world. The book isn't violently in terms of how books can be now, but there is warfare taking place and Winston (and implicitly Julia) are tortured in Miniluv and the infamous Room 101, but these scenes are needed to demonstrate the evil of an all-powerful government. Yes, there are love scenes in this book, but they are in no way explicit (therefore I don't think four lips are really needed in the CSM review above, maybe three) and are needed like the violence scenes to prove how the government needs the people's total devotion to the government itself because love and passion for other people detracts from the population's concern for the government. There isn't that much language, like the few "hells" and "damns" the CSM review mentioned, and a censored F-bomb (because this was written in 1948 where there was no way stronger four-letter words would be allowed) uttered by a crazy person. The Victory Gin and Victory Cigarettes are there, but they are more representative of propaganda than anything. Have your teen read this book and they'll have their eyes opened and be convinced that they can't always trust the government, which in this day and age when many follow empty political rhetoric, we need for this generation.
Parent Written byAllie7768 March 25, 2012

Great for anyone

I read this book when I was 11. It was a real eye opener. ANYONE and EVERYONE should read it.
Adult Written byfriedch1cken June 9, 2012

Everyone should read 1984

There is intense detail in this book. Some kids won't have the capability to understand it. Mature 15 year olds should read it. There is some mild violence and sexual scenes described. This book is beautiful, and has a great message.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycalvimcmah January 5, 2013

a great book

1984, is simply put, the best book i have ever read. it has some great world building, an excellent story, and great characters. there is some sex, but the scenes are brief, very undescribed, and not ment to be sexy. other than that, its awesome
Parent of a 12 year old Written bygrenada September 25, 2012

Subtle

Not a great book at all for any child under 18 years of age. There really is no need to have the sex scenes. Adults like that stuff kids dont need it let them be kids for goodness sake!
Parent Written byTHE ADULT April 26, 2013

Only for intellectual people.

AMAZING! However there is a lot of sex. This book was meant for adults and mature people, only stupid people, and immature people would even be bothered about the sex. Only for intellectual people.
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 13, 2013

This is a weird sci-fi novel.

When I read this book in English class, I really didn't understand it. Is it suppose to be a sci-fi novel or a satire? If it is trying to be a satire, then it's not working for me. I don't want to give any spoiler alerts for those who haven't read the book, but the ending is kinda disappointing and weird. But the reason why I gave this book 3 stars instead of 1 or 2 is because it is amusing how this book was written in 1948, and the author wanted to show what 1984 would be like. Obviously, he wasn't right on it! As most of us are aware, there is no superpower named "Oceania". That is what humors me: How people back in the 40's actually thought what the future 80's would be like. If you're looking for a silly novel like this one to read, then this is your kind of book. But just to warn you, there are some sexual references and violence in this book that might not be the right choice for younger teens. I don't think they'll have the desire to read this novel anyway!
Parent Written byOmar Sharif July 12, 2013

Good for intelegent kids

Alot of the reviews said it was weird and just a vulgar sufi novel. It is not, 1984 has a message that is still relevent today. It does have sex and toucher but that only enhances the meaning.
Parent Written byJ's Dad September 21, 2013

Must read

If you DON'T want your kids to learn to think for themselves, then don't let them read this book. As for myself, I have a 12 year old daughter who is pretty sheltered and I am going to have her read this book. As for the people who rate this as "not for kids", they probably want your kids to be useful idiots, because the book has a great message, and incredible educational value. By today's standards of what kids are exposed to in school, I'd say kids could read this book in 4th grade, however to understand it and really appreciate it, you'd probably have to be a teen (12+).
Teen, 13 years old Written byFathomT January 12, 2015

Haunting and mesmerizing: not for all ages

There are no praises that have not been praised for this book and deservedly so. This book is one of the best books I have read in my life (and I read a LOT of books). This book also scared the crap out of me. A book that is not meant as horror horrified me more than some of Stephen King (not all his books). Even though 1984 has already passed, this book is still haunting & timely. That doesn't mean that it's for kids. The main characters have an illicit affair and torture and violence are commonplace in this world. A masterpiece, but not for all kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymadelineshadowrose January 2, 2012

okay

I like this book the sex is not appropriate for under 12,animal farm was better, but this is a great dystopian book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilz the pawz February 22, 2015

MUST READ FOR YOUR TEEN

its a classic story, although it is violent, animal farm is also an alternative
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 September 16, 2014

Nice idea, but I prefered Animal Farm.

Ok, call me your typical teenager, but every other fictional work that involves rebellion has involved some fighting (The Hunger Games, Star Wars, Half Life 2 ect.) but this was different. There were some nice ideas, but I'll admit to finding it rather boring in places, and this is grim! Dark, creepy descriptions of violent deaths galore, along with lots of sexual references. Seriously, I regretted reading this book, and I spent half an hour after reading this book playing violent, dark video games simply to make myself feeling happy again. I didn't like this :(
Teen, 13 years old Written byEbullientWombat August 29, 2014

Orwellian :)!

It's such a ridiculously obvious allegory I'm not sure why Orwell bothered. Its not very well written and at one point I think he couldn't bear trying to write a creative pice of fiction rather than a good old poltical rant beacuse at one point he simply does that using a banned book and it takes up about one quarter of the story. Too many tangents. It has some very dark themes, including psychological and physical torture and surveillance combined with totalitarianism. There is also some sexual content, but on its own its not at all explicit, although awfully dull.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylostintimeandspace July 20, 2014

1984

Personally, I think I read the novel too early. I'm 12 and I could understand the political themes but was shocked by the *SPOILER* torture and suffering at the end. *SPOILER OVER* Don't give it to kids with paranoia issues, as the constant surveillance will creep them out. It's probably OK for 13-14 years old, just get them to take breaks if it gets too much. There is sex, but with bad consequences, and the main character eventually takes up smoking.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookconsumer February 1, 2014

LEARNING

Best book ever

This book is written very well, and makes many interesting points. The is quite a lot of sex and such, and it seems inappropriate for anyone less mature than a very mature 12 year old. Personally, I read it when I was 13, and I had no problems, however, I cannot relate this to others, as I am quite mature.
Teen, 15 years old Written byVanille November 3, 2013

Opens eyes

He choose the year 1984, because he wrote it in 1948, and took the last two digits and flipped them around. What the message he was trying to put out if that this is what will happen sometime in the future, not 1984 specifically. I must say that this book has a lot of educational value and has made me open my mind to the world. This book is very relatable to the world around us today. I just assume that, for me, I consider myself a mature teen when it comes to the status of the world compared to others that are my age.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy February 13, 2013

More vulgar than the average sci-fi novel.

This sci-fi novel is OK.I've read better though.Some parts of the novel were great and clever.Some parts were too vulgar though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byyobro November 17, 2012

i read it when i was 11

its fine for 12+ i read when i was 11 but it had some sex. it had not a lot of violence besides when they where kicking him. it was fine for 12+ iffy for 11+ parents choice. i am just saying.
Kid, 12 years old May 23, 2015

Amazing Book

Honestly, I doubt a lot of children would like to read this book. It does have sex scenes and violence throughout the book. It teaches them an important message though.