All member reviews for A Christmas Carol: In prose, being a ghost story of Christmas

Scrooge learns compassion in granddaddy of Christmas tales.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCaesar_12219 April 9, 2008

A Christmas Carol is a story that we've all heard...over and over and over. The language is good, the descriptions intriguing, and Dickens' literary style is beautiful, as always, but lets face it: the story isn't anything that we, or Dickens for that matter have heard a million times before. If you want to read something by Charles Dickens that's good, go read A Tale of Two Cities, and at least get a new story out of it.
Parent of a 3, 5, 9, 11, 12, and 13 year old Written byRitaJ10 November 14, 2009

Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2010

You know, sybolism is nice if you have an interesting plot...

Charles Dickens tried way to hard to cram every symbolic detail he can and forgot about writing the book in even a slightly interesting manner. You really don't care about any of the characters, and a ton of details that aren't needed get thrown in and fill up pages. Several times I was wondering what the heck was going on, and the entire book was so predictable that even if you hadn't been spoiled of the ending a million times you could figure it out. Don't recommend it, just watch the movies. They are far superior.
Adult Written byLowe's man January 6, 2014

not to be missed

This story is about more than just Christmas itself. It's also about how past life experiences can make you the kind of person you are later in life. It's also about the power to redeem and change yourself. One will see how early life experiences made Ebeneezer Scrooge who he was as an adult, as well as how he changed once he used his willpower to do so. There's also a lesson about treating employees fairly, as Bob Cratchit was a lot happier at the end, when Scrooge treated him a lot better. Republicans would do well to read this book over again. Once they do they'll see why we need to raise minimum wage. The last time it was enough to live on was when Jimmy Carter was President. Since Ronald Reagan refused to raise it, it's obvious he never read this book.
Parent of a 2, 5, 9, and 10 year old Written bylynnlovesicecream December 11, 2009

For good readers over age 9.

Reading the classics is great experience when they are well-written. Sure, it's challenging but we want their brains to be stretched a lot more than Diary of a Wimpy Kid, right?
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byhannahrose April 28, 2011

Read Aloud on December Evenings

There is no better author for putting words into sentences than Charles Dickens! The only better Christmas story than this iconic classic is the real one! Great family tradition to read through this book each December. It is a bit scary for younger kids, and maybe for 8 and 9 year olds with fear issues.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjacquelinejulien June 10, 2011

Nice Christmas Story

I read this fiction novel, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, and it was a nice book, which I would reccomend it to anyone 7 and older, since it can be a bit violent/frightening at times. An old man with a cold heart, Ebenezer Scrooge, is taken back to various times in his past when his cruel ways get out of hand. He gets taken back to when he was a child and teen, and when he was in love with a woman. So overall, this book is great for children because it shows what the true meaning of Christmas is and teaches them a valuable life lesson. Shoutout to my amazingly awesome English teacher, Ms. Mercer <3333333 love you!
Teen, 14 years old Written bynerdgirl96 January 16, 2011

I read this every Christmas

Everyone should read this book. I've read it about five times-presumably over the last five Christmases; it can be read in a few days. It was the first real classic I ever read. Dickens' prose is awesome. You will also understand the plethora of adaptions better if you read the original. The only age limiting factor would be that it would be difficult for younger children to read. Make it a family tradition.
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2010

very hard to read

i love this book very hard to read but still love it very sad but still good maybe A bit to sad or scary for young children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReillyGuy2 November 17, 2011

Good, but Boring and slightly Confusing

Although this book has a good storyline, it can get a bit boring and confusing at times.