All member reviews for A Great and Terrible Beauty

Parent Written bysouthernbelle57 June 11, 2013

graphic sex dreams

Graphic scene where the main character describes a man touching "parts she has yet to explore" and graphic drawing circles around her nibbles. Not okay for some girls. Know your child before letting them read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfitzygrl10 September 25, 2011

An amazing teen novel

I read this book when i was 13, then reread when i was 15. I definitley understood it better the second time around. This is one of my favorites, a very intense plot and character development. Definitely not for kids under 13 b/c of drug references, sex dreams, violence and inaproritate language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHistorylover15 July 8, 2012

From the teen herself...

A Great and Terrible Beauty is a book that I read in sixth grade, I was just coming out of my "Twilight" faze, and didn't really want to read anything else or even consider that any other book could be better, but this book, sorry Stephenie Meyer, blows it out of the water! It is extremely well writen, and I do know when something is well writen or not for my I.Q. is 120+. My mother read it and she adores it, though it is not appropriate, in my opinion for girls under thirteen, this is because it is about a girl whose mother has committed suicide in the middle of a busy street, and she is sent off to a school of all girls, where she becomes friends with the most popular girls and has to steal to become part of the group. There is drinking and illusion to sex though they never come out and say the word because they do not know it's called that. Overall it is a coming of age story, a very dark one, but a very good one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshiznit April 19, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I really like the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCirce July 30, 2012

A Great and Terrible Beauty

It's Good!
Teen, 16 years old Written byFrenchhorn21 April 29, 2011

Amazing book

I loved this book, because it combines my favorite genres- fantasy and historical fiction. I am obsessed with the the Victorian Era, so it was perfect to have a group of independent girls who are each rebelling in their own ways, but also had other problems to deal with- they're fighting the evil Circe, but are also fighting the confines of Victorian England
Teen, 14 years old Written bynb4ever April 3, 2011

perfect for teenage girls but not for tweens

as with any fantasy novel there is bound to be violence,but this is an amazing book especially for teenage girls. after reading the first book i couldnt wait to read the second and third books which i currently own. this book is unique because of the victorian era it is set in so i learned a little history too. the characters have so much life in them and the story is very engaging.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythe cool cat bo... January 27, 2011

***** 5 stars

best book ever, its romantic, suspenseful, and just lovely!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookkeeper September 3, 2010

Many things to think about

The entire Gemma Doyle trilogy is an interesting coming of age story with a twist. It has many themes that YA normally doesn't address, like power and caste; Gemma often wonders where women belong in her society, and difficulties arise for an Indian character due to his position in the world. The one thing about the series I would watch out for, aside from its overall darkness, is that almost any taboo you can think of is mentioned, including drugs, rape, self-mutilation, and the like. There is graphic imagery, and though all the loose ends in the series are tied up reasonably well, it's not a happy ending by most standards.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatherineLovesJake July 21, 2010

shop till i drop...omg.HOW CAN YOU NOT LOvE THIS?? its amazing! i would recomend it for anyone! its great!
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2010

BORING

NO ONE SHOULD READ THIS!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byearthgurl July 4, 2010

Love this!

LOVE THIS! The beginning is a little sad, but then you get over it in seconds! Read Book 2: Rebel Angels and Book 3: The Sweet Far Thing too!
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byreadresponsibly June 4, 2010

Not a tasteful book for anyone

I don't recommend this book to anyone, adult or teen. I came away feeling worse than when I started. It is a beautiful idea executed poorly. I forged through the book hoping it would redeem itself in the end. Very poor role models. Too sum it up-not tasteful at all.
Kid, 12 years old May 9, 2010

on for ages 12 and up

I liked it because the author hade a lot of style in her writing and it kept my interest throughout the whole book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFantasyFiend12 March 20, 2010

I crazy enjoyed this book. It's fast, enjoyable, creepy, dark, and lovely. (And the front cover is just beautiful!) The only thing that annoyed me was the friendship, the reason why I put 'messages aren't positive' for my concerns. It's the classic clique thing with all the rude, snobby girls...except, instead of the main character straying away from them and being unique, it's about her actually becoming their friend. That was strange. I still don't understand how they are all friends even though they turn a little better near the end. The romance is beautiful, and there is only a teeny bit of sex. Nothing to really worry about. There's just a short, one paragraph thing with that she dreams about. Nothing graphic. All in all, a really good book and I would recomend it to anyone who enjoys creepy fantasy with romantic twists!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKiki Long. February 18, 2010

Just Becareful.

I LOVE THIS BOOK. You just have to be careful with it, the whole series talks about child molestation (felicity's father), Ann self harms, Pippa talks about death in a romantic way (she stays in the realms knowing that she will die at home just so she can find love) and Gemma sticks her nose where people shouldn't and is disrespectful to her elder brother and grandmother also causing a scene at a school open day. It sounds cheap but it's written superbly, I read this when I was 10 after an operation and it's pretty awesome.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRee ree January 14, 2010

I absolutely loved this book. It was insightful, clever, and charming. If you are over 14 years of age, you can understand the good messages from some seemingly negative aspects of the book. I would recommend this book to anyone that is emotionally mature enough to appreciate and respect the poweful moments of the novel. Bray dares to push the boundaries, and she does so very effectively. Two thumbs up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycatwiz97 December 31, 2009

It's really really really good! :) I thought this book was Grreat because of the awesome imagery. There's a lot of thrill to it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXxLadyluckxX October 14, 2009

I love this series, would definately recomend. Story line can be weak and confusing in parts but characters have faults and are very human. Some are dislikable despite their key parts in the story. I love this book!
Adult Written bytobys_sister September 4, 2009

Good for the mature teenager.

Though this book can be a little intense at times, if your teenager is mature enough to understand the good messages underneath the drama and such, it is actually a very good book. It deals a lot with reality, which is a good wake up call for some. It sends a message that real life isn't always going to be easy, and it's how you deal with the hardships that matters in the end.