All member reviews for A Monster Calls

Haunting tale of a boy coming to terms with mother's cancer.

Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2012

This complex and compeling book is a new favorite of mine.

This is a really compelling and complex book. It is now in fact one of my favorite books. It really gives you a lot to think about, and the Monster's stories can be a bit hard to understand, so you really have to think about the hidden meaning. I strong suggest to people looking for a read that gets you thinking and questioning the world around you.
Teen, 17 years old Written byrobratings8901 December 16, 2012

what commonsense media missed:

I like to post what content commonsense missed, and Here's what gives: Violence: a monster destroys a parsonage's home, A huge, much scarier monster destroys Connor's mother in a dream, and the tales have violence as well. Sex: There is one part that is implied that a couple has sex in one of the monster's tales (...but soon they were naked in each others arms) Language: There is a use of the phrase: dammit! Drugs, etc : Con's gram smokes, his father drinks wine at a restaurant.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHugeReader123 January 15, 2012

A Great Read.

This is a very elequent book. It has beautiful writing, a good message, and pratically no language. The monster influences Conor to destroy, and tells him that's how it's down after he destorys a whole room. he beats his class mate with his fists. As for the sexual content, the monster speaks of a couple whose pasions get the better of them and soon they find each other naked in their arms. He refers to them being together as "their coupling". All in all, one great book. A Great Read.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywhiteblack November 27, 2014

Best book I have read to date!

Best book I have ever read. Very emotional and very true. Touching , beautifully written, about mum dying of cancer