All member reviews for A Tale of Two Cities

Immortal romance is set against violent French Revolution.

Teen, 17 years old Written byLittle Cupcake July 14, 2013

Beautiful Tale of Love, Revenge, and Chaos is as Stirring as it is Brilliant

This great novel is beautiful in so many ways. From its gorgeous language (Dickens never fails us in that area) to its lovable main character Sydney Carton, this is truly an epic story best enjoyed by mature, appreciative readers. This is not a book for impatient readers who'd prefer a "quick read". This book is not meant to entertain. It is meant to appreciate and think about. And believe me, there is a lot to think about. From the futility of Carton's love, to the chaos in revolutionary France, to the innocence of Charles Darnay, and to the secret that plagues Doctor Mannette's life, this is a novel that demands attention in every page. Because of the violence (it does take place during the French Revolution), it is best suited for mature teens, not for tweens. Nonetheless, don't underestimate this novel. It is not just "one of those old classics". It is an immortal tale of love, revenge, and chaos that is as stirring as it is brilliant.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycinnagurl February 15, 2013

A Tale of Two Cites

its alright. Hard to understand but what do u expect? its Dickens
Teen, 16 years old Written byCarlee C August 13, 2014

Classic masterpiece for more mature readers

Honestly, This book was slow-going for me and a bit rocky in places, yet the story is timeless and calls for patience!!! Definitely better loved and appreciated with older audiences. My advice? Just Stick with it through the first half and you will find it picks up with the second. Don't set it down too early, you will miss out on an extremely rewarding read. Very educational, very beautiful. The book had me crying by the end..:')