All member reviews for A Wizard of Earthsea: The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1

Classic, magical fantasy novel for tweens up.

Adult Written byWill Turner April 9, 2008

Great Book

Since I requested this book to be reviewed I ought to write my own. One word: AMAZING
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bysarafmc March 27, 2012

Excellent trilogy

This is one of the best, and best-written fantasy books I read as a kid, it won several awards (published 1968) and I have no problems letting my 10 year old read it (he's reading at a middle grade level, and there's nothing offensive in it). Very rich world, strong ethical values, including the value of respect and education.
Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2011

An exciting fantasy for all ages!

I read this when I was 12, and I love it! Set in a world similar to J. R. R. Tolkien's, where magic is to be used as a last resort, A Wizard of Earthsea is an exciting book that deals with balance, good and evil, and the consequences of your actions. There are almost no female characters, and the two that come to mind are not especially good. Ged (or Duny or Sparrowhawk) has to battle an evil force he released for a dare. This book also deals with fixing the problems you created, even if you don't particularly want to, or a scared to. Parents should know that though this is fantasy it is not a light story, in fact it has almost an eerie aspect, due to the nasty "shadow" that Ged has. An exciting start to the Earthsea cycle, it does not have a definite end, though the main issue is resolved.