All member reviews for A World Without Heroes: Beyonders, Book 1

Overly long start to fantasy series is heavy on violence.

Kid, 10 years old April 30, 2011
Great book, though the characters do act older then they are described to be. A good start to a series that I hope that like Fablehaven, will become better with each book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater October 14, 2011

overly violent series beginner from Fablehaven author

This book is just okay, but as Brandon Mull improved on Fablehaven, he seems to start over on this book. The book is well written, but the violence takes away from the story. It is reared for young readers, but the action may be scary or inapropriate for younger readers. The story tells of a boy named Jason who is transported (Riordan style) and finds himself in a new world, where a fierce leader rules, a cruel evil king, who's only weakness is a six sylibol word that may defeat him. Jason decides he will save the world and destroy the king. He meets another Beyonder named Rachel. The two join forces to end the reign of the evil wizard. The violence is violent and confusing. A book that is bound by human skin, a evil wizard who totures people. Characters can detach there body parts and re-atach them are present and are noted to may have a big part in the sequel. The gross part is that they are desrcibed to have sacks attached to the back of there heads, which is strange. Dogs devour people, and people are brutally deformed. A dog is snipped in half, gross and sad. The main character is attacked by a snake that injects poison. Characters eat themselves dead, and frogs are hacked to pieces. A berry makes people keep on eating them until they die. It is noted that some poisons in the world have drug-related reaction to people. Overall the book was good, but was very disappointing, I was expecting more. The writing was good, but as always, there is room for improvement. Good luck Mull, on your next adventure in this strange world.
Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2012

Best book ever!

I think beyonders is the best book ever!!! It has so much action and adventure it just skips to the excitement! I think you should put down what ever your reading and buy beyonders.
Adult Written byneopanda89 November 17, 2011

Beyond your expectations.

I disagree with the other reviews on this stating that there is too much violence. It's nothing more than what you would see on Saturday Morning Cartoons if it were described in words. While I am an older reader (23 - I know, what business do I have reading a YA novel? All Business, that's what.....and yes, I watch Saturday Morning cartoons...) I truly think this book would benefit the YA audience. We want to branch out and show our kids how the world is by skimming just the top. That's this book. (No, I'm not suggesting your child will fight a giant crab or have a back-stabbing friend that can remove it's limbs and head....) The writing style is different from "Fablehaven", it has basically evolved. While I liked "Fablehaven", this was an overall exciting page turner that I did not want to put down and did not want it to end. I truly loved the new races of characters added to this book, particularly Jasher's race that has a sort of spiritual/worldly significance. I also loved the displacers. I truly think they will have much more of an impact in the next book, but they are a race that is because that's what they are perceived to be. I'm 'getting used' to main characters with both a male and female lead role, and this one works out very well. I usually prefer one or the other, but not in this case (: Every word is carefully crafted and propels you into it's broken world of old coupled evil wizardry. Again, our Assistant Pig-Keeper is called on upon to perform tasks we are woefully unprepared for. ( "The Prydain Chronicles" - Lloyd Alexander.) [No, I'm not saying Jason/Rachel are Assistant Pig Keepers, yet they do resemble the lovable Taran.] And Who doesn't love normal-seeming protagonists destined to a duty he/she never thought himself/herself capable of? And yet, this book is truly a stand-a-lone. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, Mr. Mull. I cannot wait for the next release.
Teen, 14 years old Written byConnor.F May 16, 2016

One of the greatest books I have read

This book has many interesting things about it. Granted, the book is slightly violent, but most fantasy books are. If you are one who liked Fablehaven, or Percy Jackson, you'll love this book series. The overall message behind the book teaches kids why it's important to have teamwork in your life. I would definitely recommend this to many kids, and most adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLynnoxxei April 16, 2016

Nothing mature 9-year olds can't handle - if they can handle the vocabulary.

I read this book at a fairly young age and was deeply engrossed in the series for about the next two years. The plot is so relatable, it's almost like you want to find a portal to Lyrian. Blind warrior kings, (extremely) dedicated musicians, cool fruit, and fantastical mystery are all blended into the book. Later in the series, a duel with billiard balls takes place. It's a series not to miss. The violence element is slightly on the heavier side for a child's perspective, but I got through it fine at a younger age, and actually appreciated the heavy combat-based Torivors and Displacers: very creative. If you're looking for something slightly less heavy on the violence, try Fablehaven, but I really think it's nothing serious. I heavily recommend this book!
Kid, 11 years old September 21, 2013

Purely Amazing.

Its Phenomenal. You will be sucked into a world you never imagined existed-Lyrian. As Rachel and Jason Guide you through a bone chilling, Exciting, Hold-Your-Breath adventure. Overall, This is my favorite book of all time. Another Great book by Brandon Mull is Fablehaven. Be sure to check that out, and be inspired.
Parent Written byzdl April 2, 2012

amazing

it is amazing i read ity to my ids every night and this is saying something becausemy wife doesnt even let them see pg13 movies
Kid, 12 years old April 1, 2011
I loved this book. Well, I am still reading it, but I am on the last ten pages so I think I qualify to write a review. It is a very good book, but there is a lot of violence. Some of it was disturbing. It was not my most favorite book, but Brandon Mull always writes books that want to be glued to your eyes-- it was so hard to put down. The only thing I did not like about it (besides the excessive violence) was the writing style. In Fablehaven and The Candy Shop War, Brandon Mull does a great job of keeping me immersed in the way a kid like me thinks. Jason, on the other hand, was very professional-- even in his thoughts. I expected him to be more like Seth from Fablehaven. I still loved the book, but it just had none of the charm that Brandon Mulls past books did. But trust me: it is well worth it. The adventure keeps you on edge, and the author wastes no time making things happen. This book is not slow in the least.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDafox December 18, 2012

reader's point of view

great story. hope anyone who reads it enjoys it. the main character is a positive and smart and is a lot like the kids parents now a days wish their were more of. I was 13 when I read the book and i found it exciting and encouraging to those who are scared to speak out in life and show their uniqueness
Teen, 14 years old Written bygilly_boy January 6, 2012

Not as good as Fablehaven.

It's good book in its own way and leaves you at a cliff hanger. There is that issue of how Jason got the other world and what he does to the band about to fall off a waterfall (spoiler). He becomes a lord and starts gambling. At one point he is granted sanctuary and there is a lot of drugs at the eternal feast where the people are so addicted they can't even leave.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2016

Very good book, likable characters

The whole Beyonders series is an amazing series. I would definitely recommend this book. I think it has a great message (heroism is defined as "doing the right thing regardless of the consequences"). The characters are very likable, and it is very creative. The one thing I'm still confused about is the climax. There are a variety of scenes that could qualify, but none are written as dramatic as it should be. Many people say that it is unrealistic that the main character overcame so much conflict, but I disagree. Even though he did, and it would be very rare for a case like that to happen in real life, Jason overcomes lots of situations through creativity, not pure skill or strength. This book shows that you don't have to be perfect or a great fighter to be a hero. I would still recommend this book, as it is very fun and suspenseful. There are some things I'm unsure about, but overall, a great book.
Parent Written bymitomom October 24, 2012

mother

This book is completely unacceptable assigned reading for 8-12 year olds in the school setting, as is recommended by the author. There is too much violence and no educational value.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbyssalRuin June 7, 2012

Over All Great....

Its good.... not the best book I've ever read but it's up there. There is alot of blood and sometimes gore but there are positive role models and messages too.