All member reviews for After the First Death

Teen, 17 years old Written byEmJay April 9, 2008

Totally confusing and psycho

I had to read the book for an english assignment. It was so compelling and yet I didn't like it. The plot got more confusing as it went along. The ending didn't tell what happened to the people like Miro and Ben and his dad, it just sort of came to a stop.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykidwell95 July 14, 2009

teens for sure

I am 14 and i thought it was really good. Its different from all the other books i read. Its pretty intense at points, over all i liked it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMischief23 May 26, 2014

Well...

This book was assigned to me in my English class. I found the book very confusing and hard to follow however I did enjoy most of it. I liked the storyline although by the end of the book I was feeling very depressed and annoyed. It talks about suicide and violence way too in depth for my liking. I understand that not every story has a happy ending and that terrorism is all about violence but I would've preferred the talk about suicide to not be so in depth.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWhtvrFloatsYourGoat November 3, 2012

Controversial content

Very all over the place with thoughts and plain weird. For started, the author is 50+ writing a novel with very in depth inappropriate descriptions not really appropriate for a teen novel, It's not too grotesque, but the fact that it's the author's style is a little bit awkward, i mean, i really don't feel the need to insist on mentioning the girl Kate's nervous habbit of peeing everywhere, so Miro spying on her naked taking the uran-drentched underwear off. Kinda gross, right? It's a bit morbid with the drugging of children, but the book is morbid on it's own. I'm about half way done (around p.130-160 I think) and it's well written but has a pretty rocky plot, and I know that it'll come together towards the end, but I took a peek at the final page, What happens with Miro is so confusing. He just, walked away to continue his mission?
Teen, 15 years old Written byRadioactiveCat February 17, 2012

Not for 9 year olds!

i think its good for ages 12 and up, and maybe some very mature 11 and 10 year olds, but certainly nothing under that. Violence might end up being an issue for some people, but other than that its pretty good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byvolleyball_girl February 28, 2012

Good Read

I think this novel shows great trust and betrayal. The author really uses Ben and his dad as a way to develop this theme. For example when you find out that the general put his son in the hands of the terriost, expecting Ben the share the information, he really breaks their relationship by betraying him like that. The author also expects you to figure out a lot of the story. You might have to guess what happends at some parts. The ending is especially, you must think and intrpret what he is trying to say. This book is a very good read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrunnergirl1096 February 17, 2012

Think for yourself

I think this book was a very compelling novel. It causes the reader to make their own decision on what happene to Ben. Did he die on the bridge when he was shot, or did he jump off brimmler's bridge or was that his father? The author doesn't just tell what happens it makes you think and come to your own conculsion and think for yourself. Also it shows that people you think you can trust can betray. Like how The General betrayed his son, and when kate thinks she can trust Miro but then he betrays her.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfirmbuttocks February 17, 2012

Good book, really good book!!!

I think thits book is a really good book. This book does take some thinking when reading, but thats what makes it a good book! For age i think everyone under the age of 13 should refrain from reading this book, but it all depends on the readers maturity. There is some sexual related context but it is not that bad. The theme of this book I think is about feeling and prediction. The book has a quite a bit of twists and you need to pay attention when reading. After each chapter i suggest stopping and reflecting on what happens. A really good book i suggest it!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byfishes1908 February 17, 2012

pretty good

i didn't enjoy the book at first but when I got to the end I found that I liked it. The book is confusing at first, and throughout, but reading slighty ahead or ciren chapters at a time helped me make scence of the book. I have this thing for reading the end of books before I'm there so when I read the important end points in the corecct order they made scence. Ben and his father where not hard to keep seperate but them together is. The general is still what i dont know about.
Teen, 15 years old Written byamaninja February 17, 2012

After The First Death Review

I thought After The First Death is a satisfactory book but it is not the type of book I would normally choose to read. Although it was not my choice of book, I liked it because the plot was interesting and not something I would expect. A short summary of the book is that two hijackers, Miro and Artkin, take over a bus of children and hold them hostage until their wants are fulfilled. The son of a general, Ben, gets involved in the Bus when he is chosen to deliver something to the hijackers. After The First Death is a very perplex book and leaves you wondering with a bizarre ending.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfungalinfectiousooze February 17, 2012

MY REVIEW :D

I think the author beaytifully demonstrates that people should not have the truth hidden from them. I also think that the author demonstrates that people are able to do extrodinary things to protect themselves, be it from others or themselves.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythisissparta February 17, 2012

This is a review

I think the book is really good. The book requires you to think and anaylize what the authors says. It has a great story and makes you want to keep reading.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystalker girl February 17, 2012

the men behind all eyes

this book is a great book with a some one psycological issues the real story is between the lines u must be able to comprend all thats going on around u and know emotions. ben being sucisidal but also knowing the reason he is. the fact that miro is confused about whats going on and why its going on the way kate think she knows how to get through the hard time on the bus but is acutly just going to hurt her self more. it all about being able to understand what going on behind the story.
Teen, 16 years old Written byunknownperson February 17, 2012

This book will keep you wandering.

After the first death is twisted, misleading, and someone interesting book. If you wanted to think ,alot, while reading, this is the book for you. Its a book you never quite figure out what happens at the end. Its a book you will see in classrooms for years. This book will give you facts, and have you questioning them throughout the entire book. Dont assume what is written, is what it means.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylittleninja020 February 17, 2012

(Insert Title Here)

After the First Death is a very educational book. It requires some thinking over to fully understand. Nothing is stated directly. Everything has to be infered with a little imagination. For example Ben's death. You can find out that he is going to suicide but the book doesn't exactly tell when he does it. In the end, Ben's father has a conversation with Ben, but it is really himself. Overall, this book was good ,but requires a lot of thinking to fully understand.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTrumanSpider February 17, 2012

My Review of After The First Death.

I enjoyed the book, although it was confusing at times. I don't think children at a younger reading level would be able to understand what happens throughout the story, and it is sort of graphic and descriptive at times, but it's still a great story.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychocolateprincess February 17, 2012

Okay, But Not My Favorite...

After The First Death is a good book, but it is definitely not suitable for anyone under the age of 13... Maybe not even 14 or 15 depending on the level of maturity the reader has. This book is very thoughtful, and really requires some serious intellectuality, and questioning. I would read this book slowly, and carefully to fully understand everything. Time constraints on this book will make it even more difficult to understand. This book is full of symbolism, so while reading you would definitely have to take note of it and analyze deeper meaning within the pages of this book. Overall, it is an okay book, if you have the time to read it thoroughly, and really take the time to understand its underlying meaning.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycupcakes!! February 17, 2012

After the first death

I think after the first death is a good book that shows the perspectives of many people, from many cultures. It shows how different people think about the same situation.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySlim-and-Fit February 17, 2012

IWORKOUT

I think it has a lot to do with man vs. man and man vs. self. The book really shows the relationship between father and son when the father doesnt get to spend much time with his son because of a job. It also shows the difference in how people think due to culture and how they were raised.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysyders February 17, 2012

Not for children!

Its a really good book. Yes, it is hard to follow but once you finish it you can figure it out. But you have to rethink the entire book to understand it. Through out the hole book it gives you hints to the actual reality of the story. Which is; there is no Ben it is the father the entire time except for the parts about the bus.