All member reviews for Al Capone Does My Shirts: A Tale from Alcatraz, Book 1

Acclaimed book with mature themes is best for older kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycarolinekk5 July 18, 2009
hi Im caroline an 11 year old 6th grader and personally i think it was terrible there's basically no point and why is this stupid school on this prison island anyway IT SUX and its not a very good book for kids
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2009

bord!!!

i got really bord and i didn't have time 2 finish it. yawn!
Written byAnonymous March 23, 2014
Rated OFF for references to violence and violent crimes, including murder and rape, references to rape and other sexual subject matters.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGYRLZ May 11, 2010
I LOVE THIS BOOK VERY INSPIRING.
Adult Written byashleylynnlynn April 9, 2008

LOVE IT

Fantastic book. For me, the topic for family discussion would be the treatment of Moose's sister, Natalie. Natalie is developmentally delayed and her illlness looks a lot like Autism. The family's whole life surrounds getting help for Natalie in a time where asylums seemed to be the most convenient solution. This could result in a great family discussion about the treatment of those with disabilities.
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2013

This book is amazing

Al Capone does my shirts is an amazing book that I count a classic. Moose is an awesome role model. THIS BOOK IS GREAT!
Kid, 12 years old February 21, 2012

Five Stars!!

Al Capone Does My Shirts is a very touching story, about a young boy who moves to Alcatraz with his parents and autistic older sister. The book has some more mature themes that may be more suitable for older readers, but overall it is easy and simple to understand and the general concepts are easy for even younger kids to grasp. It was an excellent novel, and I recommend everyone age nine and up to read it!
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2011

Perfect for anyone over the age of 10

Love how it tells about alcatraz without it being like a textbook!
Kid, 11 years old February 26, 2015

good read

I just finished this series and thought it was awesome. It is about a boy who moves to Alcatraz island, he has an autistic sister who causes trouble sometimes. He is at first a little nervous about living next to prisoners but he is fine after a while. SPOILER: When he sends a note to Al Capone to try to help his sister get into a special school, he ends up owing a favor to the best con ever.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byhaeyoon July 11, 2010

Awsome book!

I enjoyed this book a lot. I couldn't put this book down until I finished it-- it was such a page-turner!. This book deals with a historical locus which caught both public and journalistic attention recently. The author cleverly evades the danger of being banal in its description of the place and rather renders the the story so vivid and interesting.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Good, funny book

This book is good and funny. The characters are smart, and the story is interesting. The surprising sexual themes make this book iffy for thise 10 and younger.
Teen, 17 years old Written byallison_evans17 January 27, 2016

ok

This book permeates new meanings to kids but I think the kid may have to atleast be in the 5th grade to read this book
Adult Written byelliem1 November 16, 2014

very interesting

‘Al Capone Does My Shirts’ is a novel by author Gennifer Choldenko. In this novel, Moose Flanagan and his family move to Alcatraz Island, where Moose's father has gotten a job as both electrician and prison guard for the prison situated on the island. Moose misses his friends back home and resents his mother for uprooting the family for another of her schemes to help his sister Natalie be normal. Almost immediately, Moose finds himself in trouble when the daughter of the warden, Piper, draws him into a scheme to make money off of the name of the most famous prisoner at Alcatraz, Al Capone. However, Moose soon learns he does not need Piper to find trouble. Al Capone Does My Shirts is a humorous novel that can also bring a tear to the reader's eye as Moose learns that family is worth fighting for
Written byAnonymous March 26, 2014

Very good book

GENERAL OPINION: This somewhat charming story of a seventh grader who moves to Alcatratz in 1935 with his mentally ill sister is very well written. The characters were memorable and developed well. I have reread this book at least ten times, yet it never gets old. There is something about it that I really like. Maybe, ah yes, it's the perspective. Seeing the whole situation from a twelve year old's eyes really adds humor and enjoyability to the mix, as well as the story's journal format. All in all, this book, which does have more good messages then bad, is a story of coming of age but in an interesting way. It deserves a place on your bookshelf, and in your heart. ABOUT THE RATING: 4 stars is good for this book. It IS a newberry winner, and it earned the award pretty well. The pacing of the book CAN be annoying at times. ABOUT THE AGE RATING: A child should be at least 12 to read this, as the themes in it are very mature. References to dozens of violent crimes and famous criminals are made.
Kid, 9 years old November 21, 2013

I Learned A LOT about Alcatraz life!

You all should know that this is the best book that's fiction about Alcatraz yu can get. But there's a high level of innuendo, and some language including shut up, shucks, and heck. People talk of violence that cons like Scarface, Machine Gun Kelly, and the Birdman of Alcatraz. I give it a iffy choice for kids 8 to 9.
Kid, 11 years old July 25, 2013

Great!

Hilarious Book!
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2012

tERIBLE

HATE THE WORSTE BOOK I HAVE EVER READ OMG TERIBBLE!!!!
Kid, 10 years old November 5, 2010

perfect for older kids

i loved this book it is inspirational and really good
Kid, 11 years old October 14, 2010

Read it!

I love love love this book i thought i wouldn't like it because it didn't seem...like to much action but there is some action and there are different things to make for the action.