All teen and kid member reviews for Al Capone Does My Shirts: A Tale from Alcatraz, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written bycarolinekk5 July 18, 2009

hi Im caroline an 11 year old 6th grader and personally i think it was terrible there's basically no point and why is this stupid school on this prison island anyway IT SUX and its not a very good book for kids
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2009

bord!!!

i got really bord and i didn't have time 2 finish it. yawn!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGYRLZ May 11, 2010

I LOVE THIS BOOK VERY INSPIRING.
Kid, 12 years old February 21, 2012

Five Stars!!

Al Capone Does My Shirts is a very touching story, about a young boy who moves to Alcatraz with his parents and autistic older sister. The book has some more mature themes that may be more suitable for older readers, but overall it is easy and simple to understand and the general concepts are easy for even younger kids to grasp. It was an excellent novel, and I recommend everyone age nine and up to read it!
Kid, 11 years old February 26, 2015

good read

I just finished this series and thought it was awesome. It is about a boy who moves to Alcatraz island, he has an autistic sister who causes trouble sometimes. He is at first a little nervous about living next to prisoners but he is fine after a while. SPOILER: When he sends a note to Al Capone to try to help his sister get into a special school, he ends up owing a favor to the best con ever.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2011

Perfect for anyone over the age of 10

Love how it tells about alcatraz without it being like a textbook!

Kid, 9 years old November 21, 2013

I Learned A LOT about Alcatraz life!

You all should know that this is the best book that's fiction about Alcatraz yu can get. But there's a high level of innuendo, and some language including shut up, shucks, and heck. People talk of violence that cons like Scarface, Machine Gun Kelly, and the Birdman of Alcatraz. I give it a iffy choice for kids 8 to 9.
Kid, 11 years old July 25, 2013

Great!

Hilarious Book!
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2013

This book is amazing

Al Capone does my shirts is an amazing book that I count a classic. Moose is an awesome role model. THIS BOOK IS GREAT!
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2012

tERIBLE

HATE THE WORSTE BOOK I HAVE EVER READ OMG TERIBBLE!!!!
Kid, 10 years old November 5, 2010

perfect for older kids

i loved this book it is inspirational and really good
Kid, 11 years old October 14, 2010

Read it!

I love love love this book i thought i wouldn't like it because it didn't seem...like to much action but there is some action and there are different things to make for the action.
Kid, 12 years old October 4, 2010

good for most ages above 11

This book was good. There were some bad role models and the story takes place on Alcatraz Island with Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelly, and more. Moose is trying to keep Natalie, his sister, safe on this island. Overall though it has a really good message to you should not give up and try every alternitive.
Kid, 11 years old March 29, 2010

perfect for 11+

A really good book but might require some disscussion about who al capone is.definently read this at some point in your life.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2010

GOOD

I enjoyed it.
Kid, 11 years old February 4, 2010

I think it's ok.

Most of the inappropriate stuff is so subtle that some kids won't even catch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBabiBlue November 11, 2009

GOOD BOOK 4 THE FRIST TIME...DUH :)

i lyk becuz it tells hoe we as teens see or do things we do today...
Teen, 13 years old Written bysoccerchick4 October 25, 2009

A Great Book!! :)

This book is a good way to understand the difficulties of autism and as a 11 year old I loved it so much I just had to get the next book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGirlyGirlxoPink September 2, 2009