All member reviews for Along for the Ride

Teen grows beyond dysfunctional family in romantic outing.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMegan Lovely April 12, 2011

Megan's Review

I think that this is a good book. It just shows a girl who didn't have a child hood re-creating her one with a friend. Sure, she makes a few mistakes; but doesn't everyone?
Parent of a 2 year old Written byHaylie H. February 26, 2010

Good Book

Some people might complain about some "iffy" things. I don't understand why. This book, like all of Sarah Dessen's was a very good coming of age novel. Some people say that she loses her virginity in the novel, not true. Some people say there is heavy drinking, I only remember reading a couple of drinking scenes that were minor at most. The kids in the novel at 18 and over and are done with high school. Most high schoolers have drank a beer or two, I'm sure. Of course my kid are very young, but I recommended it to my nieces (11 & 12) and they loved it, so did their mother
Teen, 14 years old Written byh8rPatrol December 21, 2010

Every teenage girl can learn to fall in love with this story!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybook13lover June 9, 2011

GREAT BOOK

This is Sarah Dessen's best book so far. I think Common Sense is a little bit overprotective, any 13-year-old could read this. No big deal. No younger than a mature twelve, though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 17, 2011

A fairly well written book, but contains little real emotion.

Auden has grown up somewhat self-centered due to her uptight mother. Auden's mother puts down everything and is never impressed or seems happy. Then her father, on the other hand, is way too obsessed with his work and, in a way, refuses to take care of Auden or Thisbe (his newborn daughter) properly. Which leaves Auden's stepmom Heidi to raise a somewhat colicky baby by herself. Auden begins to relax a little after meeting and falling in love with Eli. Eli seems to be different from everyone else with his love for BMX and a tragic past.
Teen, 14 years old Written byimmzzzzy June 24, 2010

Wonderful.

An incredible book, I find myself re-reading chapters again and again. I don't think any of the issues mentioned above really apply, and I have to mention the misconception of Auden losing her virginity in the book. Never happened. This is a definite must read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byM.Thomson.ATL February 25, 2010

Good for tweens and teens, especially grades 5-8

I think "Along for The Ride" is a great book for middle schoolers. Some parents may think it's a little mature for elementary schoolers but I read books like it in the 4th and 5th grade, so I think it would be fine for 4th and 5th grade but no younger. It is a little mature, has a little non-graphic sex, and drinking, but most of the drinking is just wine, and most kids' parents drink wine around them anyway. And if kids didn't already know what non-graphic sex is like (i.e. how it is described) they may not even realize it's non-graphic sex.
Adult Written byAvidreader19 February 24, 2010

Why this is a good book for teens 15 and up

I loved this book and while there might be a few things going on in the book that are considered bad, the overall message is good. Plus the books elements help develope the character, because no one wants to read a book where there aren't any problems. Lets face it kids see all this happening in the world around them anyways so why shouldn't they read a book that shows them why it wrong and how it can hurt them.
Parent of a 3, 3, and 15 year old Written bySummerBells February 24, 2010

I've literally read this book at least ten times, and I have never recalled at all that Auden loses her virginity to Eli, that is completely false information. There is drinking it, I'm not going to lie, but in no way does it encourage drinking and Dessen is writing the TRUTH of teenage life right out of high school, to not write about kids drinking would be completely false for a lot of kids that age. I wouldn't recommend a ten year old read this book, but it is appropriate completely for any teenager as is all of her other novels.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLucky7Bluue June 9, 2012

Making things straight here.

Marvellous! And, no, Auden did not, NEVER did loses her virginity to Eli. All what happened was Auden cried infront of Eli after hearing her dad and Heidi fight through the doors and Eli didn't say anything, just brought her to his apartment. He made some kind of rice crispy treat, something his mother would make everytime his sisters get upset, for Auden. They talk, Eli pretty much did all of that as he hopped on the bed. Auden did too joined him on the bed. their conversation was till almost to 4am, and Auden felt sleepy, and then fell asleep on the bed with Eli. The next morning, Eli was hugging her, as Auden wakes up, she gently get of the bed, not wanting to disturb Eli, she did a nice favour in brewing coffee for Eli as he was still asleep. Then she went back home to Heidi's place and continued sleeping. DUH, what is wrong with you people?
Teen, 14 years old Written byemm680 May 3, 2012

Great book, but the CSM review is wrong.

I love this book, read it like 4 times.Little bit of drinking but nothing major. Auden Did Not loose her virginity to Eli, she fell asleep on a couch with him(there's a big difference between the two!) Great book for anyone above 12.
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2011

Along for the Wow

Loved this book. Not a lot of bad things in the book, except some iffy language. But Auden is true to herself, and very into her learning.
Teen, 13 years old Written byezmx23 April 21, 2010

amazing!

THIS BOOK IS AH-MAZ-ING!!!!! such a good plot
Teen, 16 years old Written byElizabeth.marie May 12, 2013

Read This Reveiw

I haven't finished reading this book yet but so far its very interesting. Its the type of book that sucks you in! The drama and love is very detailed(which is good) and intreeging! I recommend this book for teens, seeing that i'm one too.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 6, 2012

Really good!

Really good, but not her best.
Teen, 15 years old Written byChuckNorrisApproves December 12, 2011

Pretty good book I must say!

I liked this book a lot! The plot was good and I thought that it gave a stong, good message, as this is how many families are: divorced parents,new step-mom, new half-brother sister, etc. I think it was one of Sarah Dessen's better books! Chuck Norris helped me approve this novel :P
Teen, 13 years old Written byllynch7 March 19, 2011

love it

love it! it just the right amount of romance, family issues, and finding your idenity!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookee January 6, 2011

VERY INSPIRING BOOK :))

This book is a good one for people who are aloof and mostly self centered ones. I do not think that this book would be inappropriate for teens even if it contains some parts with teens drinking because first of all, the main goal of this book is to encourage teens to change for the better.HOW WOULD TEENS RELATE IF THE MAIN CHARACTERS WOULD BE ADULTS?
Teen, 14 years old Written byBooklover13 October 10, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byjaliep15 September 27, 2010

It was ok

It was ok I still recommend Just listen if you want something uplifting